Lachlan Brown on Thu, 28 Mar 2002 05:36:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Generational analysis

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lachlan Brown" <lachlan@london.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:28:05 -0500
To: undercurrents@bbs.thing.net
Subject: Generational analysis

> 'All good things come in threes'. Stuart
Hall,
> on Cultural Studies, the Free Floating
Signifier of Race, and the realities of
Lewisham, 1996

> Culture is complex. Our approaches to analysing culture are relatively simple. However, these approaches begin to resemble
> culture and find helpful descriptions of
cultural processes when we combine an oppression, like gender, with an element in
the social formation, like policy, and then
consider a particular context, like an
> industry that has an obvious economic
aspect.

> I think that the three positionalities
> in analysing cultural processes and impacts:
 race, class and gender allow independently
> good analysis of cultural products and
> phenomenon. Combined, any combination is
powerful, they provide devastating analysis,
identifying new questions about
> ideas, policies, legalities and the economy,
 almost triangulating them, fixing them for
> sustained critique over time.

> However, it always seems to be forgotten
> or set aside, dis-remembered, erased perhaps
 if we let it be, especially these days when
> scholars seem to have forgotten what they
> were educated to do, is that the cultural
material only becomes apparent when each of
> these oppressions is considered historically
>  and generationally. The work of studying
> culture is work in the prodution and
> reproduction of knowledge across generations.

> McRobbie doesn't 'do' girls and fashion,
> she does generation and feminism. If her
interest extends from here to the culture
industries of education and commerce, well,
> it would, wouldn't it? Morley doesn't 'do'
> television, he does class and generation
> where it was seen to be most productively
> played out in domestic contexts of
technology of media and communications. That
these micro, domestic, local contexts are
inter-related with global contexts is
hardly surprising given the increase in
shared media and communication. And Gilroy
does whether he likes it or not, race and
 generation. if the European Enlightenment
Project comes under scrutiny and revison as
an outcome, that's hardly surprising.

> Yes, generation, it underpins the study
of culture. Its the reason we do it. There
are usually three generations around at
any one time, they embody the experience of
 three before them and always already
consider three yet to come. (Some societies
have greater memory and foresight than
Western societies which rely on History
and archives, perhaps presently under revision, such as the Iriquois who remembered
and anticipated seven generations and
factored these in to their politics). Lets
consider the questions we are raising through the focus of social status, of ethnicity, and
of gencder and sexuality, with respect to beliefs, politics and regulation as economies that relate to The Economy, but are only made
 meaningful when we are required to consider
the impacts on three generations, or any one
of three.

> Lets think about the impacts on children,
> OUR children, for whom IT seems designed
> and marketed) I heard an ad today for
online learning for first graders...
> and let's think about what children will
> have to say when they find out their
> parents haven't been telling them the whole
story  about information technology and its
culture.