Keith Sanborn on Sat, 30 Mar 2002 19:56:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> More utter genius from futurefeedforward

This description of the copyright infringement  detection agent--fictional
or otherwise--reminds me a great deal of how Brion Gysin (sp?)described
the effects of censorship:  in a place where censorship is dominant and
enforced the mechanisms of censorship become internalized. One does not
even think of writing works that violate the constraints imposed from
outside. Here we see an intelligence looking over our shoulders
constantly, encouraging the internalization of the process through
constant Pavlovian/Skinnerian behavior modification.

Gysin was describing the situation in France in the early 60s I believe.

Keith Sanborn