Gita Hashemi on Mon, 1 Apr 2002 01:26:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Protestesting the Israeli offensive against Palestine _ Toronto,CA

Short report from Toronto, Canada:

On Saturday, March 30/02, several thousand people took to the streets
of Toronto, on the occasion of the Land Day, to protest the seige of
Palestine.  This event was called by a number of Palestinian and
Jewish organizations, supported by peace, anti-globalization and
social justice organizations in the city, and joined by many
organizations, individual activists and Arab community members from
nearby cities.

The protest started at 10 a.m. with the ritual of draping and
decorating mock coffins in commemoration of the civilian victims of
the war on both sides.  By 1:30 p.m. the protesters gathered in front
of the provincial legislature building began a procession toward the
Israeli embassy, carrying the coffins.  Near the Israeli embassy, the
coffins were placed on the ground, covering the length of the street
for 4 blocks.  The people then continued their march toward the U.S.
embassy passing through Bloor and Yonge streets, successfully
interrupting heavy Saturday shopping and traffic in the city's core.

Although the city and provincial police had a heavy presence, and the
emotions ran high because of the recent news from Palestine, the
protest ended without widespread confrontation.  There were only 1-3
persons arrested.  I witnessed the arrest of a medical doctor,
Padawi, from Hamilton who approached the Israeli embassy carrying a
Palestinian flag.  I don't know yet what the official charges against
him are (if any).  The police did not respond to my demand to know
why he was arrested.  But Dr. Padawi, before he was transferred to
one of the all too present paddy wagons, said they had told him he
was "too excited."  Unfortunately, there ware no legal observers
around at the time, but the arrest was captured by many cameras
including those of a couple of tv stations.  Hopefully, he won't fall
through the cracks like many other Arabs and Muslims have since last
September.

Work for peace.

--
======

We must organize against the seige of Palestinian people by the
Israeli army. Our silence implicates us in the genocide.