John Klima on Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:22:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: RHIZOME_RAW: GENERATION FLASH: Lev / Sawad

when discussing artwork, soft or not, the focus is naturally on the
appearance of the thing. its the first thing you encounter when you
"see" it. it's how it looks that makes the first impression regardless
of the function. lets not forget that we are still primarily dealing
with a visual medium here. the problematic aspects of interactivity are
precisely why i make work that does not *have* to be interacted with,
and by so doing, i relinquish all responsibility to make it "easy to
use." the public expects "ease of use" as the most critical element in
software interaction, how often has this appeared in promo materials and
advertising? allways. i can't think of a single piece of software
advertising that does not include those three words. but where in the
museum catalogues and art reviews do those words appear? never. "this
jackson pollock is easy to use and integrates seamlessly with your
couch."

if the discussion focuses on interaction, the question of usability
always seems to be the priority.  why should the user be considered at
all? this isn't a spereadsheet, there is no productivity that needs to
be considered. concerns of human interaction seem to me to be more
scientific concerns than art concerns. by what criteria do we assess an
aesthetic of interactivity? i recently met someone who when they first
grabbed a mouse, they turned it around so the wire pointed the opposite
way, so the "head" of the mouse pointed foward and the "tail" behind, as
would seem to make sense. they subsequently reversed in their brain the
axes of movement, and concluded that the screen was a mirror not a
window. they continue to interact in this manner, to this day. how can
one ever discuss interaction when not all people agree what is left and
what is right? this is certainly an exageration of the problem, but it
highlights the situation that not all users are equally capable of
interaction. hell, some people are in wheelchairs and can't reach the
mouse in an installation situation like the biennial. some people have
no arms. this suggests to me that the primary element of software art
still firmly resides in what is displayed on the screen, and second how
it got there, and third, how a viewer interacts with it. however, i do
firmly believe that the best work includes all three.

best,