Sawad on Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:04:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> GENERATION FLASH: Lev / Sawad

At 12:15 AM 4/29/02 -0400, napier wrote:
>Golan's work is open.  The algorithm may behave in a
>pre-determined way, but how the user "uses" the work is not pre-determined.
>
>Software art (Flash, java, etc) can be *used*.  This is a unique aspect of
>this medium that breaks with previous forms.

Mark,

I don't think that the issue is necessarily one of "pre-determination" as a
distinguishing term between "software art" and "previous forms."

The history of art provides too many examples where artworks are "used," in
one way or another, even perversely, to create other meanings for artworks
and/or their larger contexts.

This is also to acknowledge that representations are always constituted
through some "programming," or cultural codes through which they are
presented to audiences, and through which audiences address artworks. But
the unfinished or "open" aspect of software artworks seems to me needs to
be further refined, if it is to be considered a uniqueness that
differentiates these works from "previous forms."

Sawad