ernie yacub on Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:24:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] BBC "...using simple technology to create a large-scale grassroots protest campaign almost overnight."

"It was a good strategy, and I'm glad we randomly stumbled upon it."
Danny O'Brien

Simple but effective

燘y Giles Turnbull

How did a loose collective of internet users force a government U-turn on
controversial changes to digital privacy laws? The answer is that they did it
using simple technology to create a large-scale grassroots protest campaign
almost overnight. 營f you think most internet geeks are a bunch of
self-interested games-addicted cynics with eyes for little else but their
computer screens, it's time to think again.

Last week, the UK online community scored a dramatic victory over government
plans to give all sorts of public bodies access to records of everyone's
e-mail and phone records.

And it all happened astonishingly fast. Within days of the alarm being
raised, Home Secretary David Blunkett publicly apologised for "getting it
wrong".

[....]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/in_depth/sci_tech/2000/dot_life/newsid_2062000/2062418.stm