information on Tue, 2 Jul 2002 13:06:04 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Cary Peppermint - CN_ZERO - CCA Glasgow

Sunday July 7th, 16:00
CCA, Center of Contemporary Art, Glasgow (CCA 5)

Cary Peppermint
Conductor Number Zero Version 6.4
Techno-Lectures of Memory, Distance & Forgetting

With assistance from CCA-Glasgow, New Media Scotland, and *Franklin Furnace
-----------------

CN_ZERO V6.0 is the latest version of my ongoing series of Conductor
performances (in update) that began in 1997. At the most basic level each
performance incorporates live video/surveillance technology. Each
performance requires viewers to observe in simultaneity the performance
event and the real-time (live) approximation of that event via video
monitor. Conductor performances set up paradoxical situations for
experiencing the 'presence' of the physical performer while also
experiencing the 'distance' imposed by the mediation of the video
transmission or what I consider with regard to the Conductor series,
'spectral technologies.'  To better understand my use of this term it may be
helpful to consider the invention of the phonograph and its early alternate
label of 'ghost box.'  The 'ghost box' produced voices from people who did
not exist... at least in physical presence.  To reproduce the 'live' event
is to be involved with the work of the 'dead', the very act of entombment.

CONDUCTOR NUMBER_ZERO V6.4 acts as a demonstration of how to begin to
conduct a 'multi-media seance' or more literally how to interrupt new media
technologies and allocate space for the consideration or reading of such
exposures, i.e. how to speak with the dead.  CN_ZERO is concerned with how
the viewer may assume an active position and begin to read the 'multi-media
experience' instead of the often-times passive position of the recipient
immersed in the intoxicating dream of light and sound.  Toward realizing
these ends I would like to suggest that CN_ZERO V6.0 functions not only as a
simultaneous play between the actual 'live' performer and the real-time
'spectral' image of the performer, but it also functions simultaneously as a
cultural work and a 'performance of culture itself.'  CN_ZERO emits a 'low
frequency humor loop.'  This subsonic, psychic hum produces a feedback of
irony where impossibility yields laughter and strangely then laughter hints
again toward possibility.

Cary Peppermint July - 2002

-----------------
For more information:

CCA
http://www.cca-glasgow.com

New Media Scotland
http://www.mediascot.org

Restlessculture.net
http://www.restlessculture.net/cnzero

Franklin Furnace
http://www.franklinfurnace.org

*This performance is made possible, in part, by funds from the Franklin
Furnace Fund for Performance Art, supported by the Jerome Foundation and the
New York State Council On The Arts.