Plasma Studii on Thu, 4 Jul 2002 17:19:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Does John Cage have a copyright on recorded silence?

rahsaan roland kirk (jazz) did it too, though in '75, and I'm sure
there are a million other examples.  (said something entirely
different though at the end of his "dream" album.) Which is not to
say, anyone's idea came first, but that the whole notion that ideas
obey some linear chronology is ridiculous.

obviously, kirk outright stole from Nixon's secretary (recent article
in Wired about the blank spot erased from the Watergate tapes).  It
was an intentional scheme to inflict pain and suffering on her by
Kirk, which caused the gods greatest anger.  As punishment, kirk was
to be born blind with MS and forced to play 3 horns simultaneously.
Kirk responded by circular breathing.  Nixon will respond by
continuing to remain dead.  (A joke stolen from this post, in that
same year about Generalissimo Fransicimo Franco by the first Sat.
Night Live cast)

Time is not a line, it is a spiral, the center of which is in the mid-70's.

jusdson

>Interesting case... some of you may remember how back in '77 or
>thereabouts, the British punk group Crass opened their debut album *The
>Feeding of the 5000* with their infamous "Reality Asylum" track, a
>wonderful feminist anti-Christian, basically anti-everything diatribe
>holding Christ Himself responsible for the deaths of Auschwitz, among
>many other subtleties. The workers at the record plant refused to press
>the record (still a wonderful example of workers' control over their own
>labor circumsatnces if yoiu ask me). The album was finally released with
>an opening track of several minutes of silence instead, entitled "The
>Sound of Free Speech". I wonder which of the two came first, Cage or
>Crass, and who should now sue whom.
>
>PB

PLASMA STUDII
http://plasmastudii.org