Plasma Studii on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:02:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> "China:Imitation Nation"-Salon

>Just because copyright is becoming an anachronism doesn't mean
>people should starve to be artists.

wait, this is a completely different angle.  No one starves in order
TO BE an artist.  (well technically some do but that's not a
financial thing, more philosophical)  A person makes art and the
English language is constructed that we can add "-ist" to refer to
the maker.  That's it.  The word is shorthand for cocktail party
conversations.  "so what do you do?"  two syllables.  Move on.  No
hunger involved.

People who are holding on to that "anachronistic" copyright mentality
(owning ideas as if they can be owned personally) is wishful
thinking, ignorant and those people might as well starve.  but no one
HAS TO hold on.  Everybody else, who sheds this old school stuff will
just move on, do whatever they think of.  It's not like anyone either
depends on money from residuals or never sees a cent again.

But as an alternative, the general public will NEED art.  The people
who fulfill that need we can call "artists".  Nobody IS fundamentally
an artist.  But if the publics' needs are being fulfilled, folks will
have to bite the bullet and start paying for it.

Right now, we are getting art at tremendously discounted rates.
Probably, a healthy solution (and psychologically beneficial) to the
demise of the copyright notion is that we, as consumers, PAY in full.
Sacrifice a chunk of our sweat to experience art.  This makes the art
have more value to us as the audience.  And creates more of an
impetus for artist to speak with their art to people other than
themselves, hoping the curator plays along.

Sounds flawed, but I see some cool solutions coming together.  Maybe
Armageddon isn't such a bad thing after all.

judson

PLASMA STUDII
http://plasmastudii.org
223 E 10th Street