Kabatoff, Mathew on Sat, 27 Jul 2002 01:08:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] - BRIDGES II - Call for Papers EXTENSION AUG.6TH - Art + Science

CALL FOR PAPERS

ARTICLE ABSTRACT DEADLINE EXTENSION - AUGUST 6TH 2002

BRIDGES II: COLLABORATION, COMMUNICATION, CONVERGENCE
October 4-6, 2002

The Banff Centre, Banff New Media Institute, & The University of Calgary in
collaboration with the Annenberg Center for Communication at the University
of Southern California.

+ + +

We would like to inform you that the call for paper proposal's and
submissions to the upcoming BRIDGES Consortium event BRIDGES II has been
extended until Tuesday, August 6th. We like to thank those who have
submitted abstracts already, however we would like to open up the call for
another two weeks in order for the symposium pool to be as wide, deep and
conceptually rigorous as it can be. We encourage you to submit a 300wd,
article abstract for BRIDGES II as the event intends to punch strong with
the term 'collaboration,' fast with the term 'new media,' and graceful with
the term 'research.'

Conference information can be found below. Guidelines for article abstract
submission are attached in Microsoft Word document. The extended deadline
for submission is Tuesday, August the 6th. Please pass this call onto peers
and colleagues that would be interested and fit within the scope of this
event.

+ + +

The first BRIDGES Consortium was held in 2001 in Los Angeles at the
Annenberg Center at the University of Southern California. It brought
together top experts from education, research and funding institutions and
the private sector, as well as independent artists, technologists, and
scientists, to explore interdisciplinary collaboration between art, science
and technology. This year, it is the turn of the Banff New Media Institute
(BNMI) to welcome this international forum.

The BRIDGES Consortium works from the belief that the great challenge of
convergence is not technology, but communication between people. It
pinpoints collaboration as a skill to be identified, studied, and learned
proposing practical strategies for its inclusion as a vital component in
education, creation and research. It also seeks to identify the best methods
and practices, amplifying networks in order to provide a means of exchange
and for those engaged in the reality of collaborative research.

The differences in work styles, priorities, language usage and invention,
communication, educational principles, institutional frameworks, and
personal temperaments and beliefs have the potential within a production
setting to become either obstacles or stimulants of effective collaboration.
Project development and research using ever-more complex technology comes to
involve social scientists, research scientists and artists to develop a more
specialized skill sets and almost 'requires' collaboration between multiple
disciplines and practices.

The purpose of the First Summit was to establish the need for the BRIDGES
forum and its discursive role in the broader landscape of art, science,
technology and culture. At Banff, we will expand the multi-disciplinary
focus to include social sciences and humanities researchers who are partners
in culture and science collaboration. The summit will result in an on-line
document accessible for use by anyone working in the areas of cultural
production, science and technology, and in active research communities
engaged in the building of active multi-disciplinary networks.

For the results of our First Summit, please check our web site at:
www.annenberg.edu/BRIDGES

For information about the coming BRIDGES event please check the BNMI web
site at The Banff Centre:
http://www.banffcentre.ca/programs/bnmi_BRIDGES_consortium2_2002/

For more information and to submit an abstract please contact:
Janet Anderson
Special Projects Coordinator
Banff New Media Institute (BNMI)
The Banff Centre