Ivo Skoric on Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:14:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: Fisk: Why Has bin Laden Resurfaced Now?

But why the audio-tape and the telephone instead of a video-tape
and hand delivery? Don't tell me that OBL can't afford a small DV
camera. I have one! And why would he use a telephone? US can
capture a long distance call and trace it to the origin via satellite.
OBL is not that stupid. It is clear why would he resurface now -
because the war on Iraq is looming after 15:0 UN SC resolution,
and because certain 'test' terrorist operations were just completed
world wide. Still, it could be someone else speaking instead of
OBL - maybe that's why there is no video. Of course, this is not
important. Al Qaeda can probably survive without OBL - he was old
and very sick, so they might have expected he would die soon
anyway. In true Orwellian sense it would be completely irrelevant
whether he existed ever at all. Goldstein was manufactured by the
Ministry of Truth to instigate fear and hate, neccessary for the
public approval of the permanent war. Nobody seems to be
listening to the message, though. And message is very, very
simple: you kill us, we kill you. This is a call to the war of attrition
in which both GWB and the proverbial OBL think that their side will
prevail. In the meantime sensible people better run for cover.
ivo