April on Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:01:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] MS Office Tips 02-13-2003 [ Formatting Info + Better Print Order ]

Title: MS Office Tips & Tricks

Useful Links

Message Board
Subscribe
Software Store
Computer Terms

Guides

Windows Shortcuts
Downloading
E-mail
Virus Guide
Digital Cameras
Emoticons :-)
Internet Errors
Software Install
File Sizes
Image Formats

Software Deals!

Check out our new bargain bin!
Click here now!

Neato CD/DVD Labeler Kit w/ Applicator
Design-Print-Apply
Perfect Labels Every Time!

Only $18.97!

Dragon Naturally Speaking
Delivers high accuracy speech recognition - even on laptops!

Only $39.97!

Learning Microsoft Windows XP
Interactive learning

Only $12.97!

Pajama Sam's Sock Works
Awesome Kids Game!

Only $7.97

Business Cards
The easy way to make business cards!

Only $6.97!

Microsoft Picture It! Photo 2002
Craete anything imaginable from your own pictures in a few easy steps

Only $24.97!

Bartlett's Quotations
Over 22,000 searchable quotations

Only $6.97!

Norton Personal Firewall 2002
Keep hackers out of your computer!!

Only $14.97!

Announcements

Hello everyone.

I have an update regarding last week's tip on printing exactly what you need and only what you need.

For some reason—can't explain why—I overlooked a choice in the tip that is one of the most useful things I've ever found! (If it had been a snake it would have bit me.)

In the Page Range section of the Print window there's also a choice for printing the Selection.

This option will print only the items you have highlighted.

It's a great tool. I use it all the time with emails and websites.

Thanks to Mary Lee - a reader who wrote in to help me catch this oversight.

Stop Pop Up Windows - And More!

We get tons of requests every week for a good pop up window stopper. Seems like half the sites out there toss a pop up window in your face.

Well, we found a bundle that not only includes a fantastic pop up stopper, but several other awesome programs. Look at this:

iClean - This is the pop up stopper program (and I love it :-). It not only kills all those annoying pop up windows, but also does a lot more. Take a look:

  • Stop pop up windows
  • Remove internet temp files and save space
  • Remove cookies placed by "spam" web servers
  • Surf the web anonymously
  • Easily manage internet cookies from sites you trust
  • Delete history automatically
  • Clear browser drop down address bar (very handy)
  • Delete recent documents
  • Clear AutoComplete
  • And Tons More!!

In short, it allows you to surf the web without pop up windows and to cover your tracks so no one can tell where you've been. All of this is completely customizable through check boxes, so you can use only the features you want. It works with both Internet Explorer and Netscape.

I've been using this for a week or so now and can report that it's very effective at killing pop up windows. They just don't get by this program. I'm very happy with it and highly recommend this one. It's the best I've used so far (and I've tried a lot).

In addition to the pop up stopper, you also get everything listed below! Note that each program installs separately, so you can install just what you want.

Stuff-It Standard - This program is for working with compressed files (including the popular "zip" format). It allows you to work with and create compressed files quickly and easily. It even protects against file corruption and can use encryption to protect your privacy. I started using this one over a year ago and it's been really great.

Open Office - This program is a full featured office suite. It includes a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, drawing program, HTML editor, a calculator, and more. It supports (and can save as) MS Office files (Word Docs, Excel Spreadsheets, etc). It has a super layout and really does a great job.

Lots of Games - This bundle also has 2 Game collections, one from AfterDark and one called "Groovy Bunch of Games". Dozens of games, hours of fun :-)

Whew, that's it. If purchased separately, the programs included add up to $115.00 or so. The pop up stopper alone sells for $29.95! Your price for the whole thing is only $12.97 and US shipping is FREE! Even if you're only getting it for the pop up stopper, this is a heck of a deal! Here's the link for more info:

http://www.worldstart.com/store/super-10-plus-CD.htm

PS - This was a special purchase and I only have a limited quantity to deal with. Once these are gone, that's the end of it. Based on how many requests we get for pop up stoppers, I think this is going to sell out quickly.

MS Office 101

Did you know…

That MS Word will tell you the formatting information of any paragraph you choose?

Yep—that's correct.

It will tell you, with only a couple of clicks, information concerning formatting of a paragraph.

This can help if you've got a document that someone else created and you need to check on formatting. It summarizes information—saving you the aggravation of tracking this stuff down from different areas of the program.

So, how do you get to this info?

Glad you asked.

Just go to the Help menu, What's This choice. For my keyboard enthusiasts Shift + F1 will do the same thing.

Your mouse pointer will become an arrow with a question mark attached to it.

Now take your pointer to any paragraph and click.

You should get an information bubble that pops open giving you the important information you're looking for.

To turn this feature off you can hit the Esc key, return to the Help menu - What's This choice or use Shift + F1 again.

If only we could get all the information we need in life so easily!

Office Tip of the Day

40, 39, 38, 37…

Tired of seeing your pages come off the printer in this order?

How much time do you spend reversing page order?

Ever find yourself wishing that you could get the printer to print in the "correct" order? Just imagine it - you reach into to the printer, pick up your pages and (lions and tigers and bears) oh my - page one is on top!

If this is one of your little wishes then read on.

The secret is all in the printer properties.

Next time you go to print a large document go to the File menu, Print choice (or Ctrl + P) instead of the print button (which bypasses the Print window).

When the Print window opens take a look at the top section - the Printer section.

Do you see the Properties button (or maybe yours is an Options button)?

Click it.

It will open the Properties window for your printer.

Here's where things become specific to your system. Each printer will have it's own Properties options - but in general you're looking for an option that will "reverse print order" or maybe "start printing from last page".

At any rate, you're looking for a check-box that will trigger the printer to print the document backwards causing your document to be in order when it comes off the printer.

Once you've found the option you're looking for and have it selected click OK.

You should then be returned to the Print window where you can proceed with the normal printing process.

One last thought…

If you're like me - then you want all the documents, not just the long ones, printed in reverse order.

So, what do you do?

No way that I change the properties for every document I print!

I went in through the Windows Control Panel to the Printers.

Then I selected the Printer attached to my computer and right clicked on the icon.

I chose Properties from the pop-up menu, it was the last choice on the list.

I then went through the Properties and set the change as a default setting.

Now, all documents come off my printer in perfect order.

Perfect order from the Properties button - do you think I could get one of those for my house? Push one button and it's all in order?

I wish...

~ April

Copyright & Disclaimer

ISSN: 1529-336X
Copyright 2001, WorldStart. All unauthorized reproduction strictly prohibited.

You are welcome to reproduce this newsletter (i.e. print it, store it) for your own personal use. You are also welcome to forward it, in its entirety, to friends and family.

If you would like to reproduce this publication, or any part of it, in any other publication, be it web based or otherwise, you must contact us for permission. Any unauthorized re-distribution will be considered a copyright infringement and grounds
for a lawsuit.

Finally, you agree to try any advice contained or suggested in this newsletter at your own risk.

To remove yourself from this list, simply place a check next to the "Remove Me >From This List" checkbox then click the "Remove" button below. If that doesn't work, head to:

http://www.worldstart.com/newsletterunsub.htm

Remove Me From This List

If your e-mail address doesn't appear below, enter it and press the Remove button to unsubscribe.

You are currently subscribed as nettime-bold@nettime.org