Travis Johnson on Sun, 9 Mar 2003 03:38:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Letter for friend

    We hope this isn't disturbing you, but we noticed you have "coins" in your profile. I'm Travis Johnson, Vice President of the American Coin Club, www.americancoinclub.org  You have not been placed on our mailing list, so this should be the only e-mail you get from us, unless we hear further from you about a project that we would like you to participate in.
    If you are like most coin collectors, you probably find the Red Book or "Guide Book of U.S. Coins" to be inadequate in terms of both the accuracy of their prices and the low number of grades they give prices for.  We are currently remedying this situation and have nearly a hundred volunteers helping us compile the biggest and best pricing guide for U.S. Coins, which will have twice as many grade categories than the Red book.
    The first 2004 edition of "A Value Guide of U.S. Coins" is two-thirds completed and we are updating prices almost daily.   In addition, this book will contain hundreds of varieties not listed in the Redbook.  Finally, unlike the Redbook, prices will not be based on just dealer feedback, but based on statistical, scientific ANOVA - Analysis of Variance - a closer comparison of dealer-reported coin prices with feedback from collectors all over the U.S. who shop at coin shows, in coin shop's, on e-Bay, at auctions, etc.   Any transaction that you have observed in the last month is worthy information in our analysis for the book prices.
    With the help of some of the best wholesale rare coin dealers in the nation, including www.collectorsinternet.com , www.bhnumismatics.tripod.com , and www.geocities.com/gfocoins  as well as collectors such as yourself.  Whether, it's from dealers, collectors or investors, we have a volunteer Review Committee of dozens of members who will be averaging prices from thousands of sources to get the most accurate published data of rare coin prices possible.  In addition, this massive 8 X 10 inch, 300 page, fully illustrated U.S. coin pricing book will come with quarterly-update subscriptions.  If you want to be on our contributors page in the front of the book along with all of our other prestigious volunteers, all you have to do is e-mail information about prices of your favorite coins that will be useful to us in averaging prices with other feedback that we are getting on a daily basis. You need only include your first and last name, along with the date, grade and price of the coin(s) involved.  We cannot answer any questions about the book, but you can find out more at www.americancoinclub.org   The book will sell for only $19.95, and all contributors can have a copy for at the pre-publication Sale price of only, $10, provided that the information and/or payment is sent to us within two weeks of this e-mail.    Release date will be Oct. 1st, 2003, just in time for the gift-giving season.  If you want to reserve a copy or send price information by regular mail, payment or information should be sent to:

ACC
9899 Santa Monica Blvd., #151
Beverly Hills, CA  90212

Thank you in advance for your understanding and contributions of any information.  If you are not a coin collector, please accept my apologies.
Travis Johnson