acunzoli@tin.it on Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:25:12 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Deads in Italy

9 political deads, at least a dozen wounded people (2 in terminal
conditions), an unknown number of emprisonments in just 2 weeks. And
besides that, lagers into which hundreds of people are emprisoned without
charge, a total control of mass media, police corps acting without any
control against the weakest population levels....

Am I speaking about a dictatorial regime, Hitler, Pinochet, Duarte, the
argentinian military regime....? Not exactly: I'm speaking about an Euro
country, a country that defines itself "European, civilized, free..." --
I'm speaking about Italy, and about its murderous policy toward migrants.

Italy is located at the southern border of EU, with the strategic,
favourable position of bridge between both sides of the Mediterrean.
Perfect for trade -- which, as we all know, "suffers" from any limitation,
borders included -- but a disaster for what concerns the control imposed
by the European Union -- and in general by all rich countries -- on the
migratory waves. Which are made of single people to be kept out.

A serious problem. Besides, Italy has a reputation to build up -- another
serious problem: is not so easy for other countries, for the EU partners,
to forget decades of corrupted governments. So, it has to be the first of
the class, at least on repression. That is basically what turned a country
producing migration into a migrants-killing country.

There are many other reasons, of course, but these are the main two. To
follow the guidelines of EU policy toward migrants, seen not as victims of
exploitation or even as a possible resource, but just as "invaders" to
keep out, Italy does not know any other method of keeping under control
its 3000 km long coasts than implementing the zero tolerance policy.

At all costs. Even at the cost of hundreds of deads from 1996 to today.
Even at the cost of stretching its own Constitution and open up dozens of
lagers where people is imprisoned without charge. Because in Italy,
"illegal immigration" is no crime, no offence, nothing: just a slogan for
mass media to justify the enormous amount of money being spent for the
army and the police on migration-related issues.

Let's show them how wrong their calculations are. The Italian antagonist
movement -- the all of it, from the Alps to Sicily, despite its own
quarrels -- will demonstrate on January 29 in two main Italian cities:
Milan and Florence, and a city-wide demonstration is planned in Rome for
January 15 -- next saturday. We will march in the streets to stop a policy
that kills. They will see us by the thousands, hear our voices, try our
strenght.

To our European, worldwide friends, we ask: is there in your city an
Italian embassy, consulate, trade office?

Boycot it! Send e-mails, fax, phone calls, march against it, occupy it --
put it under pressure in any possible, peaceful way. Because in doing so,
you WILL SAVE LIVES!

We are ready to send to you posters (the pictures of Via Corelli, the
lager of Milan) and give you any support you need. But even better would
be a partecipation to our demo in Milan on the 29 -- we would like to have
delegations from all over Europe, we would arrange places to sleep, etc.
The delegations could make public the situation in their own country in
front of a large demo, linking to the murderous Italian policy the
application of EU policy on migrants in every country.

Help us to turn January 29 into a day of shame for Italy.  Help us to stop
this mass murder.

A release from Ya Basta!, CS Leoncavallo and other organizers of the Milan
demonstration is under preparation, and will follow in a few days.

Hasta la victoria

Giuliano on account of Ya Basta!