Katharine Crossman on Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:03:12 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> I need hyperreality help!

Dear All at nettime,

I am currently reading History of Art at Edinburgh University in Scotland
and have chosen to write my dissertation on Web art.

I have just been reading some of the texts on nettime and found them very
interesting so I was hoping to gain an insight from you on the subject I am
tackling.

The main angle of my dissertation is concerned with web art and its
connection to Baudrillard and his ideas on 'Hyperreality' and 'Simulation'.
ie. The idea that we don't experience anything first hand, we always have
pre-conceived ideas of what is already there. There is no longer any
difference between reality and representations of it - they are
indistinguishable. So how do you think the internet has changed this and how
can web artists address this issue?

I am also interested in Benjamin's essay 'The work of art in the age of
mechanical reproduction' and how it can be applied to todays context of the
internet.

If you have any ideas about this or know of any good websites where I can
explore these and similar ideas further, I would be very grateful. Also, any
specific texts on nettime, (there seem to be so many!) would be very useful.

Yours
Katharine Crossman
University of Edinburgh