James Porteous on Tue, 1 Feb 2000 02:57:46 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Kinder, gentler NSA admits human frailties

From: The Register
http://www.theregister.co.uk/000131-000001.html

 Posted 31/01/2000 7:57am by Thomas C. Greene in Washington

Kinder, gentler NSA admits human frailties

An admission by the US National Security Agency (NSA) that its computer
networks were crippled for three days last week is a puzzling development
for an organisation normally loath to admit so much as its own existence.
Nevertheless, the agency issued a press release on Saturday admitting that
its systems were down for three days, but hastening to add that they had
since been repaired satisfactorily.

The breakdown "did not affect intelligence collection, but did affect the
processing of intelligence" at the NSA's Fort Meade, Maryland headquarters,
the agency said. In other words, they were for a while unable to digest
even a minute portion of the gargantuan torrents of data that some critics
say have been overwhelming them and making them a paper tiger.

Such a frank admission, coming as it does on the heels of a prior
confession regarding dysfunctional spy satellites over the New Year's
holiday (itself unprecedented), tempts one to foresee a trend here. But
what might it mean? We think part of the answer is simple: we think the NSA
is getting hip to public relations. And high time, too.

It's been a rough twelve months for the agency. In addition to suffering
routine, frantic denunciations by the usual gaggle of conspiracy
paranoiacs, the legendary super-spooks have lately been ridiculed in the
press over numerous suspected failures, threatened with oversight by
Congress, sued by privacy advocates, and booed by Big Business which
resents the software and technology export controls which the NSA helps to
develop.

It is perhaps the threat of Congressional oversight that offers the
greatest inspiration for the NSA to smarten its image. It may be too little
too late, however; Congress has been decidedly snippy with the agency since
NSA officials snubbed the House Intelligence Committee last year.

Further inspiration may be coming from the White House, which appears to be
pressuring numerous military and quasi-military groups to come clean on a
number of embarrassing open secrets.

We note for example that Energy Secretary Bill Richardson had a little
revelation of his own this weekend, conceding for the first time what
everyone with an ounce of common sense has always known, namely that
workers in the nuclear energy and weapons industries die younger than the
rest of us, and far more often of cancer.

The Clinton Administration will at a minimum have approved these
disclosures, and more likely have ordered them either directly, or
indirectly as part of some sunshine policy.

The strategy may be to elevate the agencies' credibility with a bit of
old-fashioned humility and self-examination, and so boost their standing in
the arena of public opinion. If so, this may be just the beginning of a
slew of military and quasi-military agencies coming forward to show us just
how human and vulnerable they really are. We are not looking forward to it.

J a m e s    P o r t e o u s
porteous@interlog.com
http://www.interlog.com/~porteous
Web Site & Music Reviews and more

Please subscribe to
E L   R A N C H O   D E   W E B L O
my weekly list of news and reviews that excite the imagination.
<http://deweblo.listbot.com/> or email <deweblo-subscribe@listbot.com>

Just because I have an ice-pick in my head doesn't mean I'm a Trotskyite