Francois Schneider on Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:34:39 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> a reporter's questions about web nationalism

Interesting this question. I do not anything positive to keep the web
within some national borders. It may just develop more nationalist separation.

But I see the point of limiting the distance. It is interesting if the web
could recreate a culture of proximity. In the same way that you do not know
all the stories of a neighborhood, you do not need to understood the
stories of a local web if you live far away. The good thing it would be
open to all the people of the area with the feeling of entering in a cosy
space. It could also promote exchanges at short distance, which, if if they
become travels of people or goods will not cost so much in Energy and
pollution, not like when you travel the other side of the earth to meet
with the person you got to know on the web.

Francois