Heath Row on Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:52:18 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Fwd: Surrealism Week on Britannica.com

Might be of interest to the folk here... Happy "Surrealism Week."

Heath

>The week of March 13th is "Surrealism Week" on Britannica.com's Books
>channel!
>
>Join us for a critical look at this largely misunderstood movement and some
>of its shining lights....
>
>FEATURES:
>
>"Poetry in Motion: The Lives of Aimé Césaire"
>Robin D. G. Kelley examines the life of Aimé Césaire, Afro-Caribbean
>surrealist, author, poet, playwright, and mayor of Fort-de-France, who
>co-founded "Negritude," the first modern "black power" movement, and whose
>life thoroughly disproves the notion that poetry and politics don't mix.
>(http://www.britannica.com/books/)
>
>"Surrealism: Writing the Marvelous"
>Setting its sights on the "unfettering of the imagination" and the end of
>"miserabilism," Surrealism is often misunderstood as merely a Western
>European visual arts movement; Franklin Rosemont explores its imaginative,
>internationalist, and revolutionary history.
>(http://www.britannica.com/books/)
>

>Surrealist Women
>Women have played an active and formative role in the Surrealist movement
>since its very beginning, so their near-total neglect by critics and
>historians is curious indeed. Penelope Rosemont outlines and details the
>transformative involvement of women in surrealism in two parts:
>
>In Arts:
>"Unveiling the Women of Surrealism"
>The Surrealist art movement has largely been defined by the work of Salvador
>Dalí and Joan Miró, while a bold and talented group of women Surrealists has
>been essentially ignored. Rosemont, the editor of the recent "Surrealist
>Women: An International Anthology," now tells their stories.
>(http://www.britannica.com/arts/)
>
>In Books:
>"All Power to the Imagination"
>"From the first issue of the first Surrealist magazine, La révolution
>surréaliste, in 1924, Surrealism's women writers have been there, publishing
>their writings alongside those of their male colleagues in the movement's
>many journals, exhibition catalogs, and other collective publications, as
>well as in hundreds of books of their own. As poets, storytellers,
>theorists, novelists, playwrights, and critics, women have significantly
>shaped Surrealism's ideas and activities from its earliest days, and they
>have continued, in dozens of countries throughout the world, to deepen its
>explorations and widen its horizons ever since. Judged by the quality of
>their work over many years, more than a few of these women should clearly be
>counted among Surrealism's outstanding figures."
>(http://www.britannica.com/books/)

Heath Row | Fast Company | http://www.fastcompany.com
77 N. Washington St. | third floor | Boston, MA 02114
Vox: 617-973-0358| Fax: 617-973-0373 | In: Boston

Company of Friends http://www.fastcompany.com/friends
FYI: I do not open or read unsolicited attachments.