dr wooo on Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:13:56 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> electrohippies, e-resistance is fertile

(en) [RiF] Update 6 week of action against GE

>From Resistance is Fertile <info@resistanceisfertile.com>
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2000 05:30:29 -0500

      A - I N F O S  N E W S  S E R V I C E
            http://www.ainfos.ca/

Dear Campaigners from all over the world !

!!! ONLY TWO WEEKS LEFT !!!

Here's the Sixth update of RESISTANCE IS FERTILE ACTION WEEK AGAINST
GENETIC ENGINEERING APRIL 1-10.

This will be a week of protest, campaigning and positive action around the
world.

We need you to make it a success! Read on...

people / organisations we should contact.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

CONTENTS OF THIS UPDATE:
Where we are now...
E-resistance is fertile!
What's on the website http://www.resistanceisfertile.com
Action Roundup
National / Regional Co-ordinators
Next update
Contact Details of resistance is fertile

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

WHERE WE ARE NOW...

Only two weeks left, and lots of actions being planned. We've been asked
not to publicise the details of many actions though, but we'll send
details of them as the events happen during the weeek. We have the new
details about actions below, and also some details of the web-based
actions organised by the e-hippies collective. They're looking for
webspace for the week to help with that action. See below for more info.

If you let us know about your actions we can put it in this update and we
can share ideas.More and more info is going on the website, so have a look
regularly. If you haven't got access to the internet have a look at the
list below and tell us what you want.

As always, we'd really appreciate help with:

contacting people and getting them interested
Translations
posters / fliers
putting together resources and info for the website
dealing with the press in your region
planning and doing actions!
providing webspace for the e-hippies' action

this week can only be as strong as the people doing it - and that's all of
us!

If you want any help at all, or can help us, whether ideas for actions or
help with materials for leaflets, just talk to us. Our contact details are
at the bottom.

And always remember: RESISTANCE IS FERTILE !

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

E-Resistance is Fertile!

THE ELECTROHIPPIES COLLECTIVE COMMUNIQUÉ -
MARCH 11TH, 2000

website: http://www.gn.apc.org/pmhp/ehippies
email:   ehippies@tesco.net

the electrohippies are just getting their next action together - entitled
"E-resistance is Fertile". The events will run from Sunday April 1st to
Wednesday April 12th (a little earlier than we anticipated), but the major
action will happen between Thursday 6th April and Wednesday 12th April.

This action will coincide with a global week of activities related to
genetically modified crops. In particular, the events organised by the
electrohippies during the week will focus on:

* the links between the global trade agenda;

* the increasing use of intellectual property rights as a means of
legalised extortion by corporations; and

* the development of genetic modification of foodstuffs and the effects on
the environment, traditional agriculture based economies, food quality and
health.

At the moment we're planning the following events:

* A special 'April fool' action on Saturday 1st April - details to be
confirmed - relating to the portrayal of science and public opinion. But
it's aimed to grab the Sunday media.

* A low-key email lobbying event running from Monday 3rd to Friday 7th
April on general issues relating to the genetic modification of crops.

* On Saturday/Sunday 8th and 9th April, a low-key 'server log rant' event
aiming to put the public in touch with genetics webmasters. Details to be
announced.

* Monday 10th to Wednesday 12th April, THE BIG EVENTS: an email and
client-side denial of service extravaganza. We had 450,000 people for the
WTO action. We need 2 million to make this work.

All these events will be operated via email (the web tools will also be
available via email). But initial details can be found at:

http://www.gn.apc.org/pmhp/ehippies/action/index.htm

2. A REQUEST FOR HELP

You've read the above plan for the next e-action, BUT we need a little
help to accomplish it. In order to provide greater flexibility we need
sites to distribute information from.

We'd like to spread the resources around the world to create 'distributed
bandwidth'. The tools we are developing will select a source for control
information at random in order to spread the load on the servers involved.

THEREFORE WE CALLING FOR OFFERS OF AT LEAST 50 TO 100 KILOBYTES OF WEB
SPACE TO HOLD THE CONTROL FILES FOR OUR DENIAL OF SERVICE AND EMAIL
LOBBYING TOOLS. WE NEED TO KNOW WHICH SERVERS WE CAN USE BY MARCH 24TH!

Most important, you must be able to upload material onto those sites ready
for use on:
- 12.00 UTC/GMT, March 25th
- 00.00 UTC/GMT, April 1st
- 00.00 UTC/GMT, April 8th
- 00.00 UTC/GMT, April 10th

These are the times the files must be ready for access. The files
themselves will be emailed to you at least 12 or 16 hours before, and you
can upload as soon as you receive them.

We're co-ordinating around the time as UTC or GMT because of the need to
co-ordinate the responses from people across the globe.

If you can help please send an email to ehippies@tesco.net

The ehippies are also doing a directory of e-actions on their website, a
newslist and discussion papers to encourage debate on e-activism.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

WHAT'S ON THE WEBSITE http://www.resistanceisfertile.com

Resources available on the website: Send us stuff to put on the website -
leaflets, posters, press releases, action ideas, descriptions of your
campaigns...(if you can't access the internet, let us know what you want!)

FLIER TEXT in following languages:
Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Norwegian, Portugese, Russianm, Spanish.
If your language isn't here, help us to translate!

GLOBAL PRESS RELEASE for the week of action

CALENDER OF EVENTS with contact details

LINKS to other anti - GM organisations

POSTERS and
LEAFLETS to download (PDF and WORD)

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

ACTION ROUNDUP

If you are planning or know of actions / events anywhere, please tell us
about it, so we can spread the word and inspire each other!

**BELARUS
Things are being planned, we think. We can forward emails and messages...

**CANADA info-canada@resistanceisfertile.com
*1 April National day of action (allies against GE)
Toronto Meet 12 noon Loblaws, at Christie and Dupont. Costumes, theatre,
info etc. In conjunction with Greenpeace Canada
http://www.greenpeacecanada.org

*8th of April   Fertile Food Festival - Toronto, 200 Eastern Ave,
1- 5pm - Speakers include Wayne Roberts, author Real Food for a Change and
Mary Lou Morgan (FoodSahre), Stalls, Organic food, workshops, games and
give aways!

**FINLAND gmruoka@hotmail.com
*April 8. Supermarket actions (and maybe Street Theatre) in Heslinki and
Tampere: "Since people here don't even know that gm-food is sold in Finnish
supermarkets, we feel that we have to start with this kind of actions. We
will be leafletting some supermarkets, dressed in white suits, and possibly
go into the shops with "A Declaration of People's Biosafety Protocol",
demanding that we should be able to take products which could be hazardous
(gm-products), and dispose of them.
This is just an idea at the moment, it's NOT a concrete plan, but there
will definitely be supermarket actions of some sort on that day. I'll send
you more info when I know more."

***FRANCE info-france@resistanceisfertile.com
Things are truly jamming in Lyon with 10 - 15 organisations
involved:

*1st of April : Mutant vegetables hit the markets of Lyon with
information on GE and week's programme. Also Carneval in the
Medieval  part of Lyon, St Jean. Greenpeace Lyon stall at a
supermarket with list of GE products /other info.
At PRAIRIAL, an organic cooperative:  info stalls by local groups on GE,
organic agriculture, maybe short play for kids.

*2 - 7th April :Info stalls in town centre all week, also
organic / ethical consumption stall in a supermarket, organic food
stall outside the Lyon University Refectory for ge-free universities.

*8th of April: cultural centre : info stalls, debate, organic
(vegetarian) food, music, Street theatre on GMOs

Paris:
* 6-8th of April OGM, brevetabilite et faim dans le monde, a conference
about GMO: patentability and its consequences (namely against the south)
and GMO and solving hunger in the world : are the biotech lying? Why?
http://www.ogmdangers.org, ecoropa@magic.fr

***HUNGARY info-hungary@resistanceisfertile.com
7-9 National Gathering of Environemental Campaigners - hope to make a
statement on GM.
Distribution of propaganda materials
Workshops at Budapest and Lenti Universities.

***NEW ZEALAND info-newzealand@resistanceisfertile.com
GE Free Bus Tour, Promote GE Free Art Exhibition, Publicise
Lack of Labelling of GM Products in NZ, Public Information and
Awareness Campaign - Educate School Children and General Public About
Genetic Engineering, Act the Fool on April First, Butterfly wings and
Roller Blades.

***NETHERLANDS nina@aseed.antenna.nl
*6th of April: Presentation of BIOHAZARD Map of the Netherlands;
on a to-be-biohazardous place; and reclaim that place as a to-be-
GE-Free Zone
*8th of April (possibly): Present map of GM sites in NL and flyers to
public at organic market in Amsterdam
*15 April not during the week, but... :-) Action against GM from the
anti-vivisection organisation "vereniging Proefdiervrij"
info@proefdiervrij.nl , tel: ++ 31 70 3062468, fax ++ 31 70 3062464

***RUSSIA war@horror.vrn.ru
Anti-GE seminars for students/rural people and anti-GE article in
local newspapers publicising Monsanto testings of gm potato in the
Bryansk region and labelling issues.
Little booklets on GMO and the lists of corporative products which may
contain GMO for release in the supermarkets.
All these activities will take place in Voronezh, city with population
about 1 mln, still don't know anything about Moscow.

***SPAIN ecologistas.estatal@nodo50.org
nothing definate yet, but something is being planned...

***UK seeds@gn.apc.org
*4 April 28 Greenpeace activists start begin trial for destroying a GM crop
in Lyng, Norwich.

*8 April UK - County Hall, Bridgford, Nottingham, 9.00am -4.15pm
Food, chemicals, and ill health conference - talks, workshops, debate and
info on the healthy food debate including the gm issue.
- Funeral March for the End of the Human Race at the new Centre
for Life in Newcastle.
- Organic Picnic against farm trial in Hemel Hempstead.
- Greenpeace camapigners who pulled up GE crops in summer will
probably be in Court.
- more actions are planned but we don't know if the organisers want us to
publicise them yet(!) contact via seeds@gn.apc.org

***USA info-usa@resistanceisfertile.com
*US co-ordinator: c/o Bioengineering Action Network, P.O. Box 11331,
Eugene, Oregon 97440, (541) 302-5020
*UK campaigners are hoping to visit Monsanto's US headquarters to
present them with a colourful display portraying people's resistance
to GM crops, to show how truly global and diverse it is. They're
looking for contributions to the display (text, photos, cartoons,
newspaper clippings etc), so please mail it to RiF, c/o 55 Day
Street, Jamaica Plain, Boston, MA 02130, USA or email text to
genetixsnowball@onet.co.uk.

***WORLDWIDE  "E-resistance is Fertile". (see above for more details)
*1st April - "April Fools Action" - not sure what's planned
*3-7 April email lobbying
*8-9 April "server log rant" details to be announced
*10-12 April an email and client-side denial of service extravaganza. We
had 450,000 people for the WTO action. We need 2 million to make this work!
http://www.gn.apc.org/pmhp/ehippies
ehippies@tesco.net

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

NATIONAL / REGIONAL CO-ORDINATORS AND OTHER CONTACTS

so far there are co-ordinators for the following regions:

BELARUS
We can forward emails and messages...

CANADA
Jennifer: info-canada@resistanceisfertile.com (001 613 233 4487 x234)

FINLAND gmruoka@hotmail.com

FRANCE: Etienne, 40 Rue de Malte, 75011 Paris
Phone : 0143383817, FAX : 0143383788
info-france@resistanceisfertile.com
LYON: action_ogm@yahoo.com

AOTEAROA / NEW ZEALAND: Trudy L Burgess, GE Free  NZ,
PO BOX 693 NELSON Ph 03 548 6606  Fax 03 546 5036
email: info-newzealand@RESISTANCEisFERTILE.com

SPAIN
Fernando, ECOLOGISTAS EN ACCION - SECRETARIA
C/ Marquis de Leganis, 12 - Bajo
28004 Madrid
Telifono: +34-91-5312739
Fax: +34-91-5312611
ecologistas.estatal@nodo50.org

UK: GEN,        POBox 9656, London
Tel: 02083749516 seeds@gn.apc.org

US: c/o Bioengineering Action Network
P.O. Box 11703,  Eugene, Oregon 97440, (541) 302-5020
info-usa@resistanceisfertile.com

WORLDWIDE: "the electrohippies collective" - spreading the philosophy and
practice of online activism in the UK and Europe website -
http://www.gn.apc.org/pmhp/ehippies/, ehippies@tesco.net

If you want to help co-ordinate actions in your area, please contact
us! As co-ordinator you will help groups contact each other, feedback
information to us so we can put info on the internet and tell
everyone else about what is happening in different countries. Dealing
with the press in your country is also something that can be done.

If all of this sounds frightening, don' t be put off! If you feel you
can help in any of these things or even anything at all, then contact
us!

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

NEXT UPDATE DUE WEEKEND 25-26 March 2000

If you are planning actions or have material or ideas which may help
others involved in the week of action, let us know by Thursday so it can
go in the update.

UPDATE DUE EACH WEEKEND. DEADLINE EACH THURSDAY

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

CONTACT DETAILS

We now have a website, email addresses, telephone and fax
numbers, and a mail address. The best way of reaching us is by
email.
PLEASE CHECK FOR NATIONAL / REGIONAL CO-ORDINATORS
ABOVE TOO

http://www.RESISTANCEisFERTILE.com

GENERAL INFO:
info@RESISTANCEisFERTILE.com
Tel +44 870 122 1403  (UK: 0870 122 1403)
fax +44 870 137 4155  (UK: 0870 137 4155)

PRESS ENQUIRIES:
press@RESISTANCEisFERTILE.com

MAIL ADDRESS:
Resistance is Fertile,  c/o Brambles,