nettime's_digestive_system on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 19:07:57 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> ivogram (x3)

Ivo Skoric <ivo@reporters.net>
          Re: Achtung, Achtung!
          Left holding the bag
          Soccer signs of changing times

From: "Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:11:27 -0400
Subject: Re: Achtung, Achtung!

A friend of mine just forwarded me the recent NY Times article on
the latest in a seemingly unending string of events in New York city
in which police acted well beyond their Constitutional and legal
framework. Several thoughts came up in my mind:

1) It is comforting to see that Serbs in the U.S. bear no doubt
about accuracy and objectivity of NY Times reporting on cases of
police brutality in NY city.

2) It is, also, comforting to see that New Yorkers across the racial
and social divide are beginning to understand that something has
gone terribly awry with their police.

3) It is, however, very discomforting to see that Mayor Giuliani is
hardly taking notice of the rampant, violent behavior of armed,
cocky, unfulfilled jerks in his service protected by a police badge.
While each of this cases buries his senatorial campaign deeper,
they make people living in or just visiting New York, and particularly
people of color, walking the streets in terror, and not fearing
criminals, but police!

In authoritarian states police harrassed targeted groups of citizenry
with impunity, in totalitarian regimes police had rights to check ID-s
without probable cause (as Miroslav pointed out), but in New York
city police apparently has a right to kill or maim random population
without even checking their ID. This unique combination of Gestapo
strategic approach and Wild-West Wyatt Erp "shoot then ask"
tactics makes Giulliani's New York an unusually dangerous place
to live. While the number of murders in NY city is on decline, the
number of murders committed by NYPD is on the rise.

This is now, I believe, a case for federal inquiry in police practice in
NYC. Otherwise, we may see young people thinking twice of
coming to New York to study, which will cost NYU and Columbia a
fortune in revenues, and NY city quite a penny in taxes. New York,
the ultimate city of the world, the city in which the Statue of Liberty
proudly stands, is becoming to be known as a 'police city' more
and more: not an inviting place to come to visit or spend time at.
This is bad for business. Giulliani does not notice that. NY Times
does. Maybe it's time for a new Mayor.

ivo