bruces@well.com on Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:42:12 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> A Visit to the Makrolab

Key concepts:  Makrolab station, net.art, weather
stations, Slovenia, Australia, environmentalism, Ladomir
Faktura ideology, adorable quokkas

Attention Conservation Notice:  Involves Eastern European
performance art and is narrated by an Australian.  Over
1,400 words.

Entries in the Greenhouse Disaster Symbol contest:
http://www.xnet.com/~wbrink/ggw.html
http://www.wmblake.com/searedearth/
http://www.wmblake.com/toxicsun/
http://www.io.com/~stack/gds.html
This contest expires May 31, 2000.

Links:  Nifty net toys.  WARNING: attention-hogs of the
first order:
The blazingly-popular Soda Constructor now has its own
website:
http://sodaplay.com/index.htm
A Java-based, dynamic-systems, gravity simulator toy:
http://www.snibbe.com/scott/dynamic/gravilux/gravilux.html
There's a Tetris game in Rhode Island that's 30 meters
tall:
http://bastilleweb.techhouse.org

(((Here's the unlikely, entertaining tale of a cybergreen
mobile Slovenian net.art installation in rural Australia.
I've already been getting email from *within* this
Makrolab device, so I'm pleased to learn what they've been
up to.)))

From: g.mann@cowan.edu.au^^** (Graham Mann)
Subject: A Visit to Makrolab II

Bruce,

Interestingly futuristic outing on Monday, when I and my
friend Indulis Bernsteins from IBM visited Makrolab II on
Rottnest Island. This is a high-tech, art-science project
designed by Slovenian designer Marko Peljan, whom I met
last week. He invited us to visit his installation, which
has been there since Feb 5, 2000.

    Rottnest is a holiday resort, much loved by  teenagers
trying to escape parental supervision, fishermen, urban
escapees, and Japanese tourists. It's a dry, scrubby,
ponded place with names out of a pirate story: Fishook
Bay, Lookout Hill, Parakeet Island.

    On shore, we knock back coffee-and-apricot-muffins in
an Italian cafe franchise. The smog surrounding the
distant Perth city skyscrapers is very evident from this
distance; the place is turning into Los Angeles. After
replacing batteries in some of our digital equipment from
the small general store, we bicycle nine km along the
single winding road, past  ancient lighthouses, stinking
pink lakes and WWII gun emplacements, to  the west end of
the island, Cape Vlamingh, where the lab is situated.
(Viridians can come along with us on a "virtual bike" at
http://www.rottnest.wa.gov.au/home.htm.)

   The terrain is sun-blasted low scrub, and kind of
hilly. We out-of-shape terminal jockeys are soon puffing
from the exertion. Three brown furry "quokkas"  == pocket
sized kangaroo-oid marsupials == jump us during a rest
stop on the road. They are evidently used to being a photo
opportunity for passing sucker tourists. They're all over
the island. When William Vlamingh first came ashore in
1696, he thought the island was a nest of huge rats == and
named the island accordingly.

    These three quokkas can smell the fresh bread we have
in our packs and want some, but the local  ecologists say
it's bad to feed them. The quokkas look disappointed when
they realise we are that environmentally correct.

      Makrolab II is a Gibsonesque hexagonal prism
bristling with antennae  and weather instruments.  It was
shipped onto the island in a Seatainer, then plugged into
communications networks and satellite links. It produces
its own power, recycles its water, and supports a crew of
up to seven.

     The Makrolab is funded by arts organisations,
including the Art Gallery of Western Australia (for more
on the entire "Home" exhibition, see
http://www.artgallery.wa.gov.au/home) plus government and
commercial organisations such as the Ministrstvo za
Kulturo Republike Slovenije and IBM Slovenia. Lubljana may
well end up being the new Prague.  These guys are serious
European longhair virtual intellectuals.

       We clank up the metal steps, and bang on the
laminated ribbed plastic hull. A shadowy figure asks us to
step back. A section of the hull hisses upwards on smooth
pneumatic pistons.

      Marko  greets us warmly. He's a handsome modern
central European with striking blue eyes.  He is at home
on the boundaries between art, science, engineering and
design. After reading a poem by the visionary Russian poet
Klebnikov, he developed the notion of "Ladomir Faktura" -
roughly, "process of living in harmony and peace". Project
Atol is his not-for-profit legal/funding framework for art
performances.

     Makrolab II is a "processual work-machine" on a ten-
year tour of the planet's remote locations, studying their
telecommunications, animal migration and weather patterns.

     The only other person here today is Thomas Mulcaire
== a lanky, relaxed performance artist from Capetown. It
is, of course, fairly difficult to maintain a long-term,
unpaid crew in remote locations, so the lab tends to be a
bit understaffed. Indulis is soon engaged in a brisk
conversation with Thomas about the energy systems on the
station. They are glad of the fresh food and drink we hand
over == the lab is well into its four months of stored
provisions. Thomas says they hope to provide green
vewgetables,  installing hydroponic gardens in the lighted
cavities between the outer walls and inner insulation
blankets.

     One entire side panel of lab is open, forming a sort
of porch. There's a fine view of the Indian Ocean. We sit
in blue plastic directors chairs on a metal mesh balcony,
sipping herbal tea, enjoying the view. The 2880W solar
photovoltaic bank can easily supply the electrical needs
of the  entire station, even without the extra 90W wind
generator. Thomas says there's zero inconvenience, though
the windmill's a bit noisy at night.

      Beneath us are a 950 litre fresh water tank and a
900 litre liquid waste tank. Don't get them mixed up.

     We talk over the difficulties of getting complete
recycling working on a small scale.

      Marko turns on his laptop to show off his cool STS-
plus satellite spotting program. It announces that MIR is
directly overhead. We can't see it, but it's cool to know
it is up there == and the cosmonauts on board are probably
busy shooting a feature movie. Marko had previously been
in contact with MIR by radio, but they normally only
listen when the space station is over Europe (that station
is understaffed at present as well).

       Marko has had trouble getting the local bureaucrats
to recognise his Slovenian amateur radio licenses, and he
doesn't want to provoke them with any illegal
transmissions. He cannot keep up with the demand for
photos,  news interviews, admin support, science data. He
tells me that crew from an earlier roster == now departed
== had collected data, but have not yet posted it. It was
promised "real soon now". Science activities are at a
lower priority than the the self-contained power, water
and food systems.

      In a few days a sound artist named Cartsen Nicolai
will arrive. Thomas  puts on Cartsen Nicolai CD. Lots of
ambient communications hiss, crackle and beep; here in
Makrolab, it seems as natural as the waves crashing on the
beach. When the conversation turns to novel ways of
displaying or representing the weather data, I suggest
that they have Nicolai convert it into music.

      There's an excellent website which you should check
out, which has the  complete skinny on Project Atol and
its history.  The Makrolab I evidently  made quite a
splash at Documenta X in Kassel, Germany in 1997 - because
the the actual lab was placed in a forest outside the
town, and a lot of visitors had no idea where all those
transmissions and images were coming from.  The website
features manifestos, considerable technical details about
the lab itself, live feeds from webcams and instruments,
weird improv poetry/webraving, pictures and some profiles
of the regular crew. This is at
http://makrolab.ljudmila.org
Well worth a browse.

      What's the significance of this?  Makrolab is
modelling a new kind of activity, sitting astride the
traditional (read: 20th century) disciplinary divides.
Their presence at Rottnest is high-impact in the realm of
information, yet low-profile in the physical environment.
This is a desirable combination for the future modus
vivendi. We need positive examples that show human
activity moving away from landscape destruction into
information refineries: exchanging news, sharing artforms,
telling stories, collecting useful data, constructing
working models of  dynamic energy flows.

     It's no accident that the Makrolab has been likened
to a spaceship. Like a spaceship, it needs to support its
occupants without drawing on the local, ubiquitous,
market-oriented, oversupply of consumer goods. It moves to
different locations to sample different weather patterns,
animal movements and datascapes which Earth has to offer.
It depends on  state-of the-art technology to function.
And it occasionally spooks and mystifies passers-by as an
out-of-the-ordinary manifestation of tomorrow.

     Next stop for Makrolab is somewhere in the highlands
of Scotland, where Marko wants to test the station in
cold-weather conditions. He now wants me to 1) come over
again and participate in a satellite tele-conference to
Slovenia at 3am on  Good Friday  2) sign on as one of the
science crew in the planned 2007  deployment of Makrolab
in Antarctica. I might just take him up on these.

Cheerio

Graham Mann

O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O
LESS COAL. MORE QUOKKAS