Ivo Skoric on Sat, 22 Apr 2000 18:37:00 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Protests and arrests American way

This is the first-hand account of a protests in Washington DC
written by a student from Wesleyan. Police wanted to actually
charge people $50-100 per arrest, but when 80% of people would
not pay, they just let them all go, and then protesters protested
being let go.
ivo
_____________
Dear family, friends, professors et al I'm really sorry for those of
you who hate forwards, but this is a first hand account of the
conditions of imprisoned protestors in DC written by a trustworthy
student at Wesleyan.  It is essential that as many people as
possible are aware that people's constitutional rights are being
entirely neglected by the authorities in this situation.  Please pass
this on to as many people as you can and if you know people who
can help (ie media or influential lawyers...) please encourage them
to do so.

Frederic

--------------------- two wes students and at least 100 others are still in
jail in dc.  we need to  get these people out fast.  here's the scoop
from behind enemy lines.  i am writing only what i have
experienced myself or witnessed firsthand.  sorry if  some of this is
redundant, but this information needs to get out before i forget
anything:

i was arrested along with four other wes students at noon on
monday at the intersection of pennsylvania avenue and 20th street.
 600 protesters had linked  arms to form a "soft-blockade" directly
in front of police barricades, and several hundred cops in full riot
gear stood on the other side of the metal barriers, resulting in a
stand-off that had lasted about two hours. directly  behind the cops
stood the world bank headquarters, symbol of global capitalism
etc.  our plan had been to walk two blocks down the street and
attend the wb  meeting, but the police weren't cool with that, and
they had pepper sprayed us  when we tried to cross their (arbitrary)
line.  in a very real sense, they were  defending the global
economic system from assault by the people.

by noon we had negotiated a deal with the cops that would allow
us to cross the  lines and risk arrest in return for the police sheding
their riot gear and pledging not to use violence.  ten feet past the
line, we were handcuffed, searched, photographed and then
escorted to the paddywagons.  some protesters  decided to "go
limp" to make the process more difficult for the arresting officers
and make a stronger statement.  those who chose to resist in this
way  were handeled roughly and some had their heads smashed
against solid objects.

 prisoners were divided among eight busses and people sitting next
to one another  in the blockade were deliberately seperated on
different busses.  the prison  system was already overflowing from
mass arrests on saturday and sunday, so many  of us were
shipped to a juvenile detention center in a police station for
temporary "storage."  once there, every prisoner had his property
taken away,  including shoelaces and belts for fear that we might
try to hang ourselves.  (i  am not being gender-inclusive because i
have no first hand information about  what happened to the
females).  all prisoners had their fingers printed, and  those who
resisted printing were given pain compliance until they gave in.
some  prisoners with serious illnesses were deprived of their
medications.  we were  then handcuffed again with a plastic band
connecting an ankle to a wrist. when  several prisoners complained
that their circulation was cut off or that their  hands were numb, the
police responded by tightening the restraints.

once we were processed, we was faced with two options: we could
"sign out" and  leave immedietely by paying a $50-100 fine and
volunteering our names,  or we  could refuse to pay the fine and
withold our names in solidarity with other prisoners.  most of us
chose option one unless we had an unavoidable commitment.   the
theory behnd jail solidarity is that prisoners can clog up the system
if  they act as a single inseperable body instead of many
individuals. solidarity  is also symbolic: we are a community that is
concerned about the entire group  instead of our personal well-
being.  this was important, for we soon learned  that some
prisoners were facing more serious charges than others even
though  everyone had participated in the same non-violent action.
charges ranged from  "incommoding" (blocking traffic) to "crossing
a police line" or "resisting arrest" or even "assault".  the group's
central demand was that we would not  give our names until we
were allowed to see a lawyer and everyone's charges were
reduced to a simple infraction like incommoding.

those of us who chose to remain in solidarity were stored in the
police station  jail cells for about 4 hours.  at one point we were fed
two pieces of Wonder  Bread with a single slice of bologna in
between and each handed a carton  of "fruit punch drink".  the cell
next to us ws only fed donuts, so we did our best  to help them out
by passing food through the metal bars.  some of us were
permitted to make local phone calls, but the number we were
supposed to call for  legal defense was continually busy.  we later
learned that police were using a  machine that automatically dialed
that number over and over again.  our clothes  were damp and the
cells were deliberately cold, so some of us began shivering.   after
prolonged insistence, the cops gave the 11 of us in the cell a single
blanket to share.  to their credit, most of the city cops were not
abusive.   many of them were working 30-hour shifts to
accomodate the never-ending  flow of  protesters into city jails.
some of the guards even admitted to agreeing with  our stance on
the imf and world bank when we pestered them.  the point is that
with rare exceptions, these cops are not sadistic human beings.
they are just  puppets controlled by an evil puppeteer.

after a few hours (not sure about the time because they took our
watches) we  were transferred to a holding cell in the municipal
courts building.   our new  guards were federal police marshalls.  i
dont know if it is standard practice to  turn ordinary criminals over
to federal officials, but the district of columbia's status as a non-
state complicates legal matters.  13 of us were stuffed into a cell
so small that only three could sit down at a time.  the rules of the
game changed dramatically once we arrived in this jail.  phone
calls were not permitted.  food was not supplied.  our cell had no
running water, and the autorities promised to bring a pitcher but
never followed through, although they later moved us to a cell with
a working sink.  we were  still not offered a change of clothes or
additional blankets.  the offer to pay  $50 and walk still stood, and
the police strongly encouraged us to accept it, to  the point of
using scare tactics.  if we refused to comply, they explained, we
would be transfered to the dc city jail, which in their words "is not a
good  place for white boys" and is "filled with murderers and
rapists."  they also  told us that "our solidarity bullshit" was
breaking down, and that most  people  had already paid the fine
and left.  we were constantly being shifted to new  cells with new
cellmates - an obvious effort on the part of the police  to undermine
solidarity by making communication difficult.

after a brief meeting, we communicated to the police marshalls that
we would not  give our names until we were allowed to meet with
our lawyers.  The group that  organized the protests (mobilization
for global justice) had supplied a legal  team called "midnight
special" to represent us.  however, most of these lawyers  were
prevented from communicating with arestees in any way or even
entering the  cell block.  instead, court-appointed public defenders
were assigned to us.   some were sympathetic, most were not.
one woman claimed to be a lawyer from  midnight special, but was
unable to produce any credentials, or give us  the name  of her
firm, or inform us of our rights.  (she "forgot" that we had the right
to  remain silent, and explicitly denied that we had the right to food
and water).   after interogating her for awhile, it became apparent
that she was an undercover  agent posing as a lawyer.  eventually,
the police allowed us to meet with a guy  who we were pretty sure
was in fact a real midnight special attorney.  he told  us that
solidarity was still around 80%, and gave us instructions for our
upcoming arraignment.

after a long night of fake lawyers, non-existent food and trying to
sleep while  standing up, they began taking us away to be
arraigned.  during an arraignment,  the accused is read his or her
charges and asked to plead guilty or not-guilty.   if he wishes to
stay in solidarity, the accused remains silent rather than plea  not-
guilty.  he also continues to withold his name, and is arraigned as
John Doe  or Jane Doe.  however, when we were taken to our
"arraignments", we never had  the chance to plea.  Instead of being
arraigned, we were each handed a slip of  paper that explained the
police had lost our papers and our charges were being  dismissed.
we were then escorted out of the courtroom and told to leave the
premises.  when some of us protested, the federal police marshalls
 threatened to  arrest again for trespassing on federal property if we
chose to stay.  obviously, the cops never lost any papers.  they
were simply trying to divide us  by eliminating minor offenders so
they can focus on people with more serious  charges.  it just didnt
make sense anymore to clog up the dc city jail  with 600
protesters.  i left the courthouse around noon without paying fines
on tuesday  as john doe number ---.  good for me, but bad for
solidarity.

most of my comrades experienced a similar fate.  however, i
watched several actual arraignments, and even these were
extremely one-sided:  the accused stood  before the judge.  the
judge delivered a long tirade indicating that the accused  had two
options - give his name, pay $50 and leave, or remain john doe and
be  relocating to the dc city jail.  the judge implied that the
accused could expect  to be sodomized by people of color in the
city jail, and that he would be better  off returning to society so he
could "continue to exercise [his] first ammedment  right to petition
the government."  the accused recived support from the gallery  in
the form of raised fists and cheering.  some support was tolerated,
but when  one member of the gallery yelled "this is a mockery" he
was roughly dragged away  and shoved through the courtroom
door.  we heard loud noises outside as his escort moved him down
the stairs.

most of the remaining prisoners continued to maintain solidarity
through the  arraignments, but their numbers had fallen drastically
at this point due  to mass  dismissals.  they need our support - call
the authorities right now to express  your outrage: Central Holding
202-727-4213, DC Jail 202-673-8000, Cell B & C  202-727-2392,
Superior Court 202-879-1010, Police Academy 202-645-0055,
Subdistrict #4 202-727-4655.

as poorly as we were treated, we must remember the millions of
people who face  these same oppressive conditions everyday.  this
is a polemic not against individual officers or a single jail system,
but against the modern prison-industrial as a whole.  and we must
the role of the world bank and imf in  setting up conditions that
encourage countries in global south to imprison millions for
speaking out against a corrupt system just as we did on monday.

DE-FUND THE FUND! BREAK THE BANK! FREE ALL POLITICAL
PRISONERS! RELEASE ALL A16  PROTESTERS! SOLIDARITY
NOW!

Abe Walker awalker@wesleyan.edu (860) 685-5311