info on Sat, 29 Apr 2000 16:24:33 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> AlterNet's New Site Launch and Headlines

AlterNet is proud to announce the launch of our completely overhauled,
brand-spanking-new Web site, a project we've been coaxing into life over the
past 6 months. Check it out: http://www.alternet.org (Note: because of
server time lags, the site may look the same to you -- or be buggy -- until
late Friday or Saturday.)

Instead of updating our site weekly, we're adding new content daily. So now
is the time to make AlterNet your home page.* We'll still be tackling a wide
range of issues, from news that the mainstream media doesn't cover to
irreverant essays and opinions to probing interviews to sex, drugs and rock
'n roll.

This set of headlines is the last you'll ever get on a Friday. We're
switching to a Tuesday schedule to send out a select list of everything
we've put up throughout the week. In the near future we'll also offer a
daily headline service; if you'd like to receive daily updates, e-mail
info@alternet.org with your request.

Since most of you have been getting these headlines for a while now, we
realize that the new site may seem like a big change. We definitely want
your feedback about the site; either e-mail it to us or make a post on our
new message boards. And, as always, please spread the word and get your
friends and colleagues to visit our site. The best way to keep independent
journalism thriving is to spread it far and wide.

(* To make AlterNet your home page, go to your Web brower's preferences and
type in http://www.alternet.org as your Home Page address)

And now, your Headlines for April 28, 2000, all available at
http://www.alternet.org ...

BABY STEPS TO A GLOBAL REVOLUTION?
Tamara Straus, AlterNet
Bridging the gap between the generations, veteran feminist writer Barbara
Ehrenreich and A16 organizer Juliette Beck compare notes about the new
activism: its origins, goals, problems and possible future.
http://www.alternet.org

THE MALE PILL
Audrey Schulman, Boston Phoenix
We've never had a male equivalent of the birth control pill, but there are
more prospects on the horizon than you might think. And two-thirds of
American men say they'd take one.
http://www.alternet.org

CHEAP GAS IS CHEAPENING LIFE
Jack Bradigan Spula, City Newspaper
America's addiction to incredibly cheap oil has driven us into an era of
environmental and human rights disasters. Now high gas prices may force us
back to saner models of transportation, heating and energy -- and not a
moment too soon.
http://www.alternet.org

LIVING THE GAME
Hayes Reed, Sacramento News and Review
Hayes Reed tracks down an old friend who has traded in his life for total
Ultima immersion -- giving up showering, cleaning and eating for constant
connection to his high-speed modem.
http://www.alternet.org

BARBIE GETS A POLITICAL MAKEOVER
Kathleen Haley, AlterNet
Sporting a blue power suit and a conservative blond bob, President Barbie
hits the stores May 1. But is Barbie politically-correct enough for the job?
http://www.alternet.org

PRINCIPLES OF SELF-PLEASURE
Leah Rumack, NOW
On May 7, chronic masturbators should take the day off work to engage in
their favorite passtime, because the second annual national masturbate-athon
is coming to a sex shop near you.
http://www.alternet.org

VIRTUAL ROMANCE
Michelle Holcenberg, AlterNet
"After many mishaps, miscommunications and dating disasters, I have come to
see e-mail less as a handy flirting tool and more as a high-speed way to put
my foot in my mouth."
http://www.alternet.org

NETNOMAD 15
James Porteous, AlterNet
Five offbeat, timely reviews of Web sites on the arts, politics and news --
with a dash of the absurd thrown in for good measure. This week: Selling off
Tuvali ... Photobetty ... Combating Hillbilly Stereotypes ... and more.
http://www.alternet.org

And in our new Topic Pages:

YOUR POLITICS VS. YOUR PORFOLIO
Dennis Fox, AlterNet
Is there a way for progressives to reconcile their corporate stock
portfolios with their social consciences? Unfortunately, no. (in The
Almighty Dollar)
http://www.alternet.org/?IssueAreaID=6

A MILLION MOMS CAN'T BE WRONG
Lee Snodgrass, HipMama.com
Thousands of mothers and other supporters will participate in the Million
Mom March this Mother's Day, to encourage Congress to enact tougher gun
control legislation. (in Changing the World)
http://www.alternet.org/?IssueAreaID=2

WARMING UP TO A LESBIAN DAUGHTER
Sally Sheklow, Eugene Weekly
"My mother never liked the idea of me being a lesbian. When Mom died, I
realized that full acceptance can take more years than we have." (in Private
Lives)
http://www.alternet.org/?IssueAreaID=5

SECRET SERVICE SAYS TEEN PROFILING SOFTWARE IS USELESS
Donna Ladd, Colorado Springs Independent
The U.S. Secret Service recently condemned Mosaic 2000, a student-profiling
software program that supposedly can sort out "troubled" students from the
average high-schooler. (in Bandwidth)
http://www.alternet.org/?IssueAreaID=7

CAPOEIRA AND BREAK-DANCING
Julie Delgado, AlterNet
While break-dancing has been at the forefront of Hip Hop culture for close
to 30 years, in the last five years, capoeira -- an age-old Brazilian
martial art form -- has been on the tip of everyone's tongue. (in Wiretap)
http://www.alternet.org/?IssueAreaID=8

**
AlterNet depends on word-of-mouth to publicize our site. If you found the
AlterNet Headlines useful, interesting, or entertaining, we hope you'll
e-mail them to a friend and suggest they sign up. The Headlines are free and
anyone can sign up to receive them at http://www.alternet.org.

*** An appeal to support independent journalism ***

Help AlterNet continue to promote independent news and information. Go to
http://www.alternet.org and click the Give For Change button in the bottom
left corner of our homepage. From there you can make a donation to our
parent organization, the Independent Media Institute. Every dollar helps!

**
Want the latest media dirt? Get the inside scoop from Media Mash, a weekly
column with news and gossip from the media world. Sign up to receive Media
Mash at: http://alternet.org/signup.html.

**
Need content for your publication? With the AlterNet syndication service
you'll have access to thousands of articles on a wide range of topics, with
extensive archives updated each week. Bring what Brill's Content calls "News
and opinion that are hard to find in most other media outlets" to your Web
site, newspaper or magazine. For more information contact info@alternet.org.