Ivo Skoric on Sat, 10 Jun 2000 15:43:55 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> URGENT: POLICE "VISIT" WIB

Women in Black Statement

After the regime's campaign of repressing the media, the
financial-police is expanding their campaign. Today, June 7th 2000, the
police accompanied by the financial police entered into the offices of
Women in Black. Just days before they had done the same thing to two
other NGOs, Helsinki Committee of Lawyers for Human Rights in Serbia and
the Forum for Ethnical Relations.

We do not object to the above authorities making a regular
investigation. But the facts in these cases indicate to an intensifying
campaign of repressing NGOs. This was clear with the police
interrogating Stasa Zajovic on all our different contacts both locally
and those in Kosovo, during the `informative talks' that took place for
6 hours today in the offices of Women in Black.

Their agenda was above all political repression aimed to intimidate and
fracture the network of NGOs struggling for a civil society. The Serbian
regime is using the financial police to obstruct and discredit the
activities of WIB and similar organizations.

The police is returning tomorrow to our offices. We will keep you
updated on the developments of the intensified repression against Women
in Black and similiar NGOs.

Stasa Zajovic for Women in Black, Belgrade