Ivo Skoric on Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:23:53 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Gesture

From: The Objection!, magazine for conscientious objection and anti-
militarism, number 6, May 2000, published by Women In Black, article
Gesture, page 4-5, by Drazen

Gesture

At the time of war in Slovenia, when I went there, we were told to be
flying into Slovenia the next day. A hard rain was falling, it was
thundering, the heaven and earth were one.

They were dressing us up, old petty officers were distributing all new
uniforms to us. Never before, and I was on many training exercises
before, did I get a new under-shirt. Now they were giving us all new, still
in its original packaging, and they were helping us, those old officers,
dress ourselves up. I saw something large is moving on. Nevertheless,
there were those international triplets at Brioni, trying to calm down the
situation, and they did something, and it was postponed for seven, for
fifteen days. Then, there was August 15 and the proposal that Yugoslav
Army leaves Slovenia and situation quieted down. I am telling you this
story because of one awesome gesture that I witnessed at that time.

Once some number of generals came to explain to us how we should run
down Slovenia, because this was the way to save Yugoslavia. Because,
they said, this was the way to save Serbia, this was the way to save our
homes, this was at the core of that defense operation, that we have to
erase them now, so that the next day somebody would not, God forbid,
come and attack our homes.

Typical story you can hear from generals. But they failed. Soldiers did
not want to listen to them, soldiers surrounded them and booed them,
that was something, some chaos. When that first general did not
succeed, they brought somebody else, Spasojevic, I think, I don’t know
for sure, now, I would have to dig that out from some papers. He was
there the next day. He dismissed our commander five times, screamed at
us and our officers. He gave us a hot lecture spiced with the threat of
force and imprisonment and then he asked whether anybody had any
questions. Some Roma kept the sense of humor asking: “What, mister
general, are only Gypsies and poor peasants good enough to go about
saving this our fatherland?” Then, from somewhere, it looked to me as he
was heaven-sent, some dude dropped out wearing a t-shirt on which it
was printed: I LOVE SLOVENIA, with that LOVE heart-like sign on the
back and on the other side SLOVENIA MY COUNTRY [in Slovenian].

Ninety percent of people did not understand that, I am sure that ninety
percent of draftees did not understand that gesture. The general did not
understand it either. He covered it up quickly saying that dude was some
fool, that he should be removed, that he should be arrested. And I know
that there were some petrified tears at the edges of my eyes and that my
voice was, as it is now, trembling in excitement.

That was that individual act of rebellion against that incredibly stupid
establishment that believed that country could be defended in army
boots. That country could not be saved that way. That was the stupidest
way. That was exactly the way to destroy that country in pieces. And
that individual act of rebellion, that I saw then, was for me something of
value, to make the long story short, something worth remembering all
these ten years.

Drazen