nettime's_roving_reporter on 21 Jul 2000 23:53:06 -0000

<nettime> Praxis Group announces: < Operation Legal Reason >

----- Forwarded

The city of Minneapolis has arranged to have on the order of 800 police
with new riot gear present for the ISAG conference mentioned below.
There's also been discussion of a city ordinance banning gas masks.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 00:14:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: Praxis Group <praxis@tc.umn.edu>
To: hamletmachine8@yahoo.com
Subject: Praxis Group announces: < Operation Legal Reason >

You are cordially invited, although we admit it's rather short notice:

	The Praxis Group announces the screened performance of < Operation
Legal Reason > on Friday, May 21, 2000 at 5:30pm. The performance will
occur between S. 12th and Grant Streets on Nicollet Mall in downtown
Minneapolis. This two block stretch of public pedestrian walkway will be
under heightened Minneapolis Police surveillance to stifle the rights of
individuals protesting the International Society of Animal Genetics
conference. The Police action serves the purpose of screening
individuals to determine whether or not they  have a "legal reason"
to walk on the public streets. The screenings can include "stopping,
questioning, and even searching people" for engaging in suspicious
behavior.

	< Look for the labcoats- they tend to cause suspicion.>

	The Praxis Group will be performing sections of Heiner Muller's
'Hamletmachine' for the entirety of the two blocks. < Operation Legal
Reason > is a test. We look forward to grading the Police on their
appreciation of free, live performance in the public domain. If questioned
by the Police please state, 'I'm not Hamlet. I don't take part anymore. My
words have nothing to tell me anymore.'

	- see you on Friday. The Praxis Group.

"My drama, if it still would happen, would happen in the time of the
uprising. The uprising starts with a stroll. Against the traffic rules,
during the working hours. The street belongs to the pedestrians."

- Section 4, 'Hamletmachine' by Heiner Muller.

*The following excerpt regarding the Police screening appeared 7/19/00 in
the Minneapolis 'Star Tribune'.*

< Police to 'screen' people on Nicollet during protest threat >

Howie Padilla and Chris Graves
Star Tribune
Wednesday, July 19, 2000

Minneapolis police, fearing that violent protests could erupt during an
animal genetics conference that begins Friday, plan to screen pedestrians
on a two-block stretch of Nicollet Mall to ensure that people have a
"legal reason" to pass, a police inspector said Tuesday.

Inspector Sharon Lubinski said the screening, which might involve
stopping, questioning and even searching people, will happen on the
mall between S. 12th and Grant Sts., near the Hyatt Regency Hotel, where
the six-day International Society of Animal Genetics conference will be
held.....

the rest of the story can be found at http://www.startribune.com