Heiko Recktenwald on 19 Aug 2000 16:51:32 -0000

Re: <nettime> The Regulation of Liberty

Richard, fine analysis, but I think the importance of the "magnifient
glass", structures, that had allready been there, now getting another
importance, proportions changing with digitalisation and the net, are
underrated. I am not shure, just one exemple, if trespas and hacking into
somebodies computer are the same. With cookies etc you are not alone on
your harddrive anyway and its no trespas if you just look over the wall
etc.

Or lets take structures like napster, gnutella etc. Its oversimplification
to see just the copyright questions. Its not sharing music with friends,
its anonymous etc, but the main thing is that the content is done from the
bottom. Not from some music company. I dont say this in an ideological but
a practical way. You can find music, that no record shop can sell, old
singing cowboys etc. And yes, you can burn the files an CDs, but how often
will you do this ? Its a marginal hobby, costing *very* much time and
money and energy.

I think that those two exemples show how important it is to get the real
proportions of problems. And to see how "grey legislation" works. An
exemple for such "grey areas": Would Microsoft be so important as it is
without millions of copies of "stolen" software ?

H.