Robbin Neal Murphy on 29 Sep 2000 05:21:39 -0000

Re: <nettime> "The Without Response" Verbal 3, Call & Response

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Keith Sanborn wrote:

> Well, I guess that makes sense. I have to agree, I really don't know what
> the need for big institutions is in all this unless they can supply high
> bandwidth servers....

I suppose my frustration comes from the fact we were promised a lot at one
point by art institutions. They were "talkin' the talk" in order to lure
tech money their way but weren't "walkin' the walk" when it came to
what artists needed and they could have provided. A case in point is the
Whitney/Intel arrangement.

But, things seem to be better now and I'm optimistic. It isn't so much
about institutional support as it is about artists finding ways to be
productively cooperative with each other. We can eat our young later.

Rob