Frederick Noronha on 2 Oct 2000 22:10:17 -0000

<nettime> BYTESFORALL: October 1, 2000

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/
_/  B y t e s   F o r   A l l ---  http://www.bytesforall.org
_/  Making  Computing  Relevant to the  People of  South Asia
_/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

            OCTOBER 2000 * RELEASE DATE OCTOBER 1, 2000

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

JIVA in North India is currently launching a new project. Jiva
Institute invites all to join in a "mission to rebuild India's
education system".
Says Steve Rudolph of Jiva: "We have launched an initiative
called India's Curriculum of Tomorrow (ICOT). In this, the team
plans to:
* Create a new set of educational standards for Classes K-12.
* Develop high-quality textbooks for all subject classes.
* Establish a free Internet-based software bank.
* Provide teacher training and staff development for implementing
the program.
India's education system is instructive-based, and teacher-
centred, where students merely memorise information for the sole
purpose of passing exams.
In the process, learners fail to develop the type of skills that
are truly needed in the world today, such as creative thinking,
decision making, problem solving, teamwork, values, and so on.
Although many schools do wish to make change, they have not found
the vehicles that would enable them to do so. What schools
require is a new "constructive" curriculum, innovative learning
materials and dynamic professional development for their teachers
and administrators. Jiva says it has "set out to develop
this".
Jiva points out that it has already demonstrated its ability to
create a high-quality, constructive computer curriculum through
its Jiva Learning System (http://www.jiva.org/jls), which is used
today by more than 200 schools in 15 states. It is now extending
this design to cover all subjects and classes.
Support for ICOT has come so far from Rotary, Apple Computer, the
Center for Science and Environment, the Institute for Learning
Centered Education, schools, boards, government bodies, NGOs, and
individuals both in India and abroad. It also seeks support from
all interested in becoming ICOT members.
To become a member, you simply need to pay a sponsorship fee of
INR 500, and send in the membership form (ask for it via email).
You will then receive a beautiful ICOT t-shirt with the ICOT logo
and a slogan that says "I'm building the future." You will also
be updated periodically about the progress of the project, and
will be informed about ICOT activities that you may participate
in.
"Rebuilding India's education system is no easy task. But with
your support, and the support of others, it will certainly
improve the effectiveness of our efforts," adds Jiva.
For more information about the ICOT Project, visit
http://www.jiva.org/icot.
Further details from Steven Rudolph, Educational Director
Jiva Institute, 1144/19 Faridabad, HY 121002 India
steve@jiva.org  http://jiva.org/
Tel/Fax: 91+ 129.529.5547 or 529.6174

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

OTHER JIVA initiatives include:
EARTH-ONE http://www.jivaworld.com/earthone
Linking Schools To Education: This is a website for schools about
environment. The first of its kind in India.
JETS http://www.jiva.org/jets
A Teacher Training Programme for schools. Trains teachers to
become IT literate, and to use IT effectively as a teaching aid.
Contains 3 books, 3 workbooks, and a CD. Learning anywhere,
anytime. No instructor needed -- it's all self-paced and step-by-
step learning.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

THE NEW-TECHNOLOGY COMMUNICATION CHAT FORUM will commence soon.
On-line discussion and problem solving of trends and issues
related to the new technologies and development. Email
majordomo@comminit.com
and type
subscribe new-technology
into the body of the message [not the subject line] or email
wfeek@comminit.com to join. The list is yours to use as you wish.
Initial suggestion to start discussion - review and comment on
James Deane [Panos] presentation "Setting agendas: the changing
roles of development communications in the knowledge age" on
http://www.comminit.com/other_presentations/james_deane/sld001.htm
Info courtesy: The MEDIA BEAT-24 http://www.comminit.com/news.html

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

WRITES HARI SRINIVAS <Srinivas@hq.unu.edu> FROM TOKYO of the
South-Asia-IT mailing list:
Greetings from Tokyo!... I have a query that I hope will have
some takers on this list: Do you know of cases where NGOs or
other community groups in south Asia have received or require
used PCs? What kind of PCs have they received or need? How do
they use or intend to use it? Who were the donors? Etc.
I would be grateful for any info -- news items, case studies,
contact addresses etc. Please respond directly to my email
address -- srinivas@hq.unu.edu
This info is for several queries I have been receiving from
Japanese NGOs, as well as a for a project being launched by the
UNU.
Hari Srinivas, Ph.D.
Environment and Sustainable Development, United Nations University
5-53-70, Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo - 150-8925
Tel: +(81-3) 5467-1250    Fax: +(81-3) 3406-7347
Work Web: http://www.unu.edu/env/

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

INDIA-CHINA SIGN MoU ON INFOTECH: New Delhi, July 17 - India and
China have signed their first agreement on critical areas of
information technology (IT) with the focus on software
application and products, transfer of IT technologies and joint
ventures, reports the India Abroad News Service.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

INDIAN DUO BUILD 'DIRT-CHEAP' RADIO STATION: by Frederick Noronha
HYDERABAD, July 22: They took it up as a challenge, and today
these two young men have built a radio-transmitter that fits in a
briefcase at a cost of barely ten thousand rupees (US$220).
Vikas Markanday and Dayal Singh of Rohtak in Haryana, both aged
21, have assembled a low-cost FM radio transmitter that they hope
will spread useful information that could make a vital difference
to the lives of villagers, including on agricultural practices.
Weighing approximately 12 kgs., the entire "radio station" fits
into a briefcase. This transmitter has a range of 10 to 15 kms
radius, and thus can be used to beam developmental inputs to
rural citizens.
Currently, Nutra Indica is working on dissemination of indegenous
knowledge. It is also promoting organic agriculture in haryanvi
farmers. Says the group: "We are also promoting insitu and ex-
situ conservation of germplasm. today we have convinced 30
farmers in eight villages, and are developing a market for them by
organising lectures in schools and while on farm visits. One
farmer collected 65 varieties of cotton. He is growing all of them
in his field." NI is also preparing audio tutorial programmes for
rural students and women.
Further details: Dayal Singh, Nutra Indica Research Council,
675/25, Patel Nagar, Rohtak (Haryana) India
Tel 0091.1262.55329 Fax 0091.1262.40700
Email: nirc_kamaljeet@hotmail.com

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

SIMPUTER: BytesForAll earlier reported on plans for building a
sub-$200 computing device. This has attracted much interest. For
details on the Simputer contact Vinay Deshpande of Encore
<vinay@encoretech.com>
"He is more thank keen to receive any queries on the Simputer
initiative," writes John Ribeiro <ribeiro@vsnl.com>, the
journalist who wrote the article earlier.

  >>*  SIMPUTER -- SUB-$200 INTERNET DEVICE to help non-literate
  >>*  users: In an effort to bring the Internet to the masses in
  >>*  India and other developing countries, several academics and
  >>*  engineers have used their spare time to design a sub-$200
  >>*  handheld Net appliance, writes Bangalore-based John Ribeiro of
  >>*  IDG News Service (June 23).

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

WORKSHOP ON INTERNET AND DEVELOPMENT IN ASIA (Sept 14-15, 2001,
Singapore). The growth of the Internet has been phenomenal in
Asia as countries rush to embrace a technology that promises
great potential. Yet Asia remains a vast region with great
diversity in terms of economic development, political regimes,
and cultural traditions. How has the Internet impacted the
politics, economies and culture of these societies?
Organisers invite abstracts on * Internet and Political
Integration * Sovereignty Issues * Patterns of Inequality * Net
Business Models and Work Arrangements * Ethics and the
Information Age * Community and Identity
Preferences will be given to abstracts that address specific
Internet issues. We will also prefer papers incorporating data
from quantitative and qualitative research projects.  One goal of
the conference is to attract a critical synergy involving
participants from academia, government, industry, and NGOs.
Abstracts must be submitted by 15 January 2001 either 1) via
email to either Dr Randy Kluver at icmrk@nus.edu.sg or  Dr
Kenneth Yang at icmycc@nus.edu.sg or online.
http://www.fas.nus.edu/icm/ for details and updates.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

SCOPE-PAKISTAN'S "CCD-Coalition" list. There are 550 people on
the list. The United Nations Convention on Combating
Desertification (CCD) is now set to be implemented in the
affected drylands. In order to accelerate CCD's implementation,
idea of forming a "Multi-stakeholders Coalition Against
Desertification" was conceived at a workshop held in Islamabad,
Pakistan in May 1999.
Details from : Tanveer Arif, Society for Conservation and
Protection of Environment (SCOPE), D-141, Block 2, PECHS
Karachi-75400 Pakistan Tel : 92 21 455 9448, 452 2562
e-mail: scope@khi.compol.com
More info about the list: http://www.topica.com/lists/ccdcalition

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

BANGLADESH PASSES IT COPYRIGHT LAW (BBC News, July 9): ...Under
the Copyright Law 2000, which is what the new legislation is
called, a student or researcher could freely use a software
programme or chunk of a novel without infringing copyright or
asking for permission.... Bangladesh has a growing information
technology sector, and computer experts have long demanded a
copyright law that would safeguard intellectual property. But
they say the new law does not go far enough because it does not
prohibit songs, writing or computer programmes from being
reproduced without permission for non-commercial purposes. But a
member of the Law Commission, Justice Naimuddin Ahmad... said
Bangladesh was a developing country and its priority should be to
protect consumers' interests rather than those of a few
businessmen.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

PAKISTAN PLALS TO BRING computer prices to RS 8,000: Information
Technology buffs in Pakistan have reason to celebrate with a new
government plan to bring down prices of personal computers (PCs)
under Rs 8,000 only. The current minimum prices range around Rs
25,000 for unbranded ones. The move comes in the wake of the
government's decision to buy computers in bulk for educational
institutions. The ministry is also trying to further reduce the
charges for international bandwidth connectivity for Internet
users, realising that the recent cut in price of the 64 kbps
connectivity from Rs 100,000 a month to Rs 60,000 was not enough.
(US $1 = RS 52 approximately).
http://search.ft.com/search/multi/globalarchive.jsp?id=000801000163

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

BILL GATES OFFERS FUND FOR INDIA (Deepshikha Ghosh in India
Abroad News Service, Sept 14): Microsoft Corp. chairman Bill
Gates announced Thursday an initiative to take information
technology (IT) to the rural heart of India and spoke of a
convergence of interests between the software giant and the
Indian government in harnessing IT for the masses. The money the
world's richest man offered to fund the rural IT education
initiative was a modest $5 million, or $1 million a year over the
next five years. Information Technology Minister Pramod Mahajan,
whose ministry will be given the money to spend on the
initiative, stressed the symbolic value of the gesture and Gates'
keen interest in India's efforts to spread the IT revolution.
"For a country of 1 billion people, this (amount) is nothing,"
said Mahajan, who downplayed any sense of disappointment after a
50-minute meeting with Gates. "But he showed a keen interest
nevertheless, which is good for India."
Mahajan tried to interest Gates in a Rs. 5 billion project to be
called 'Media Lab India' that will showcase the latest
technologies and inventions in the IT sector and is expected to
be finalised  in a year's time.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

INDIA: 'NEED-BASED TECHNOLOGIES APT FOR RURAL TELEPHONY'
(Business Line, Sept 14, 2000, New Delhi): A combination of
technologies, based on specific needs, will be appropriate for
rural telephony, according to the Indian Department of Telecom
Operations (DTO) Secretary R.N. Goyal.
Mr Goyal told a conference on Rural Telephony 2000 that "no one
technology will be able to satisfy the demands of rural
telephony", while admitting that rural telephony was a new market
for investment and would prove a revenue spinner in times to come.
"The cost of providing rural communications in India is high. The
telephone connection in rural areas is 40 per cent costlier than
any urban areas. So cheaper technology options have to be
explored for rural connectivity," said Telecom Regulatory
Authority of India (TRAI) member R.R.N. Prasad. Hence, he said
analog MARR systems should be replaced by new digital MARR.
"Wireless technologies such as TDA-PMP, CorDECT and village
cellular phone are good options to be implemented," he suggested.
Mr Rajendra Singh, Joint Secretary, TRAI, said that technologies
deployed to provide rural communication should be able to carry
the Internet traffic. Other officials added that the Government
should allow Internet telephony as a cheaper option for
communications in the rural and inaccessible areas.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

KNOWNET INITIATIVE: Knowledge incubates in human mind and when
applied innovatively becomes a factor of growth and development.
KnowNet Initiative aims to popularise knowledge networking in
developing countries for overall human development through the
amalgamation of Information and Communication Technology and
Remote Volunteering. It aims to create a team of ICT-volunteers
to train one person in each rural village to open up a two-way
communication channel for managing local information and
knowledge for the benefit of the local communities.
http://www.knownet.org

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

PAKISTAN ON THE LOOKOUT FOR RECONDITIONED PENTIUMS: Writes Isa
Daudpota from Islamabad "Here in Pakistan, the Ministry of
Science and Techchnology is looking seriously into getting
reconditioned pentiums from the usa or elsewhere at throwaway
prices.  Do you have any useful leads (urls and email addresses)
of reliable suppliers?  Also info of people in the developing
world who have tried this route to get machines into their
countries?"
Contact Isa Daudpota, Inst of Business Admin & Technology, Room
101, Raza Noor Plaza, 24 West Jinnah Ave,  Blue Area, Islamabad,
Pakistan. Email Isa Daudpota <daudpota@ibadat.edu.pk>

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

INVESTORS PLAN BANGLADESH'S SILICON VALLEY: Investors in
Bangladesh are planning to spend US$96 million to set up a
Silicon Valley-style information technology park in the private
Rangunia Export Processing Zone, Chittagong. Once official
approval is granted, the scheme's backers hope to invest
$75million on laying a submarine fiber optic cable to link to an
international fiber optic backbone, with the rest of the money
going to develop the park's infrastructure. (Posted Sept 18)
http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/1/news/nssia01.html

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

NEW DEHLI -- The Gandhi Institute will receive a US$5 million grant
from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to support the Bharatiya
Vidya Bhavan's Free Job-oriented Computer Training Programme targeted
at educated, unemployed youth under its Gandhi Institute for Computer
Education & Information Technology, headquartered in Mumbai.
"Bhavan's initiative to promote free computer education comes at
a time when computer skills are becoming a basic qualification
for jobs in India," said Mr. Murli Deora, Vice-Chairman of the
Ghandi Institute.
Mr. Deora's initiative, Bhavan's Free Computer Education Programme,
was kickstarted in 1997 with its first centre being inaugurated
at Bhavan's Mumbai (Bombay) headquarters.
For more information, visit The Gandhi Institute of Computer
Education's Web site at http://www.bhavangic.com.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

MAHITI-INDIA was one of the finalists at the competition "ERICA
2000". This contest was for the use of innovative and feasible
ways to use Internet technology by non-profit institutions to
further their cause.
This Bangalore-based organisation from South India said: "Mahiti
provides appropriate and affordable Information Technology
services to India's voluntary sector.  Because the majority of
India's voluntary sector does not have a web presence, if Mahiti
wins an ERICA Award, it will build a web interface to enable
6,700 Indian NGOs to create and maintain their own effective
websites and intranets."

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

TELEMATICS FOR AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT: Balancing Act tells us about
its work with the Telematics for African Development Consortium,
another initiative focusing on providing free information on
Telematics and Development to e-mail subscriber. This information
service currently goes out to over 1000 subscribers most of whom
are based in Africa. If you would like to receive free weekly
Consortium circulars, send a request for subscription to
neilshel@icon.co.za

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

LEARNENGLISH WEBSITE: The LearnEnglish website is a free site to
help young people around the world improve their English language
skills.  Backed by the solid reputation of the British Council in
English language teaching, the site features interactive games
and quizzes, stories and poems, songs and lyrics, virtual
postcards and useful links. http://www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

PROMINENT VOICES IN CIVIL society and the Bretton Woods Project
<bwref@gn.apc.org> has put out an Open Letter questioning the
World Bank's Internet plans.
The World Bank is planning a major sales pitch for its Gateway
plans at its Prague Annual Meetings. Said the letter: "The Bank's
Gateway team is claiming that just a few European malcontents
still have problems with the plans and so the Bank should move
full steam ahead. If civil society groups worldwide do not
express their reservations/opposition clearly now, the Gateway is
likely to eclipse the independent web initiatives many of us are
involved in."
For official information about the Gateway plans, see:
http://www.worldbank.org/gateway
For a civil society discussion on the Gateway (where many of the
letter's points are discussed), see:
http://www.bellanet.org/gdgprinciples Throughout October the Bank
will hold an electronic consultation on the Gateway on:
http://www.worldbank.org/devforum
This letter says the Bank's gateway plans throws up many
problems. Including (i) insufficient independence of Gateway
governance (ii) the rejection of alternative design options (iii)
insufficient communication/consultation (iv) overambition, and
unfair-competition with its huge budget of $60 million over three years.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
bYtES For aLL is a voluntary, unfunded venture that, for the
purpose of spreading its ideals, seeks the involvement and
support of all who agree with its goals. Contact us at
bytes-admin@goacom.com * Compiled in public interest * CopyLeft
bYtES For aLL volunteers team includes: Frederick in Goa, Partha
in Dhaka, Zunaira in Karachi, Archana in Goa, Arun-Kumar in
Dortmund, Shivkumar in Mumbai, Sangeeta in Nepal, Zubair in Islamabad
Rajeeb in Nepal and Daryl in Chicago.
To contact them mail bytes-admin@goacom.com
May be freely circulated provided entire message is left intact.
If you wish to reproduce in part, please write to us for
permission; we have never refused to date.
TO UN / SUBSCRIBE simply send a message to fred@bytesforall.org
with UNSUBSCRIBE BfA or SUBSCRIBE BfA as the subject line.
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0