Michael Benson on 7 Oct 2000 16:45:42 -0000

<nettime> re: No Nazis

Reading a couple responses to my mail, including Frank Hartmann's
remarkably insightful, supportive note -- thanks Frank! -- I realized
that, since people who can't really read too well generally also can't
make it past a first sentence, if that far, what I wrote could always be
misinterpreted by the dull-witted and easily baffled. Frank, if you'd
managed to spell your way beyond my first sentence or two, with the help
of a dictionary -- that's d-i-c-t-i-o-n-a-r-y -- you'd get to the
following:

My strong view is that Serbia will never recover its balance and the
possibility of returning to something like normality unless it hands
over Mladic, Karadzic, Milosevic, and the other mass murderers (Seselj,
for example).

(No number of mass murderers given. But it's in the nature of mass
murder that it takes more than four.) And:

But Serbia will never really recover until it becomes candid with itself
about the extent of its willing complicity in his madness. In that
sense, it's a similar situation to the one facing Germany in 1945.

Personally, I'm not someone who believes that, if Hitler had never been
born, Germany would still have found a way to kill six million Jews. But
tracing the murderous impulse and ideological mechanisms necessary to
transmit it to an entire nations back to his leadership doesn't excuse
the tens of thousands who not only followed orders, but took the lead in
finding multiple ways to kill that many human beings. (It also doesn't
take away the question of collective responsibility for those who looked
the other way -- but anyone who followed that thread last summer I guess
already knows my views on that.) While the same goes for the behavior of
the Serbian nation in the last decade, I didn't really feel like this
was the time or place to dwell on that, given that major step forward
has just been taken, it seems, in Belgrade.

To repeat: a celebration's in order.

Cheers,
MB