Nico Myowna on 10 Oct 2000 13:05:27 -0000

Re: <nettime> HORST MAHLER: THE ROLE OF A SAD SACK

Florian Cramer wrote:

> > 	HORST MAHLER: THE ROLE OF A SAD SACK
> > 	John Barker <harrier@easynet.co.uk>
> > 'FORMER BAADER-MEINHOF GUERRILLA CONVERTS TO NEO-NAZI PROPAGANDIST.' This

[snip]

> - Reinhold Oberlercher was the leading SDS activist in Hamburg and a chief
> theoretician of the German SDS (next to Rudi Dutschke and Bernd Rabehl). In
> 1981, he became a member in the FAU where he published a "Manifest deutscher
> Anarchisten" ("Manifesto of German Anarchists") which claimed that "foreign
> competition destroys the job market" so that "German anarchist demand an
> immediate ban on hiring foreigners" ("deutsche anarchisten fordern daher
> sofortiges einstellungsverbot fuer auslaender...", quoted from
> <http://www.trend.partisan.net/trd1099/t321099.html>"). Today, he is
> considered to be one of the most important ideologists of the German
> neo-nazi movement. He advocates a "Fourth Reich"
> <http://www.deutsches-reich.de/oberlercher/schulungstexte/index.html>.
> (Oberlercher's homepage is located on the neo-nazi webserver
> <http://www.deutsches-reich.de/oberlercher>). He also is a close
> collaborator of Horst Mahler.
This is not quite correct. Oberlercher never was a member of FAU. He
considered himself a 'sympathizer' for a short time, and contacted FAU
mainly because he was of the opinion that the organisation badly needed
his then latest piece of work: Karl Marx 'Das Kapital' converted into a
mathematic formula. With this formula, Oberlercher intended to calculate
the preparedness for revolution within the German society.

The 'Manifesto' you mention was written by some 50 persons, not all of
whom were FAU members (the respective FAU local believed it was necessary
to achieve at a cooperation of the left in the broadest sense and
therefore accepted the cooperation of maoists etc. who took part in the
meetings of this local more or less regularly). I was a member of this FAU
local, and as far as I remember, Oberlercher submitted a draft for one
paragraph of this manifesto. The paragraph published was reworded, and the
overall message of the manifesto was quite different from the sentence
quoted above.

The manifesto published did not go by the title 'Manifesto of German
Anarchists', but 'Manifesto of anarchists and anarcho-syndicalists'. There
was no mention of 'German' in the title of the manifesto published by said
FAU local. It is of course possible that Oberlercher published such a
manifesto on his own, but this will have nothing to do with FAU.

As a result to the draft submitted by Oberlercher, there was a very vivid
discussion within this FAU local, and as a result of this discussion and
the things that were said, Oberlercher never again took part in any FAU
meeting. Anyway, he only took part in two meetings of the FAU local in
question.

Oberlercher left with the words: "FAU ideology is hollow, and its members
will be the first to join a new SS" (paraphrased). Given Oberlercher's
conversion, this sentence is real-life satire...

> The German Green Party, for example,
> is the official successor of the party "Aktion Unabhaengiger Deutscher (AUD)"
> ("Initiative of Independent Germans") whose historical roots were in a block
> of extreme right parties ("Block der Heimatlosen und Entrechteten").
Without being too fond of political parties including the Greens as an
anarchist, but this is simply not true. The Green Party is in *no* way the
official successor of AUD! In fact the main part of the party members came
from left authoritarian organisations like KB and KBW (Communist Alliance
resp Communist Alliance West-Germany). It is true that the Green Party did
have right-wing members, but many of them were kicked out in the early/mid-
80ies already.

> One of
> the prominent founders of the Green Party, Herbert Gruhl, later signed the
> right-wing "Heidelberger Manifest", which stated that immigrants are a cause
> of environmental problems, and one of their once-most prominent politicians
> in the federal parliament, Alfred Mechtersheimer, has also turned to the
> extreme right.
Both persons have been members of the Green Party for a more or less short
period. Gruhl, however, was a former member of the Christian Democratic
Union, Mechtersheimer came from its Bavarian sister party Christian Social
Union, and they did not have to perform a turn to the extreme right after
they were made to leave the Greens, they were pretty much right wing all
the time.

The fact that right-wing extremists from AUD, or people from the right
wings of CDU/CSU joined the Greens is not so much due to a fault of the
Greens, but to an attempt of the right to gain acceptance by taking up
environmental issues. To reduce environmental and/or peace movements to
these members is far off the track. The Green Party consisted of about 30
different tendencies when founded, and the right-wing members were just
one of them, and one which was exposed and excluded to boot.

Nico Myowna

## CrossPoint v3.12d ##