John Hopkins on 30 Oct 2000 23:52:04 -0000

<nettime> learning and networks

Following is an article to be published in the upcoming issue of
x-change from Riga's re-lab...

"learning and networks"
by John Hopkins

"What our age needs is communicative intellect.  For intellect to be
communicative, it must be active, practical, engaged.  In a culture
of the simulacrum, the site of communicative engagement is electronic
media. In the mediatrix, praxis precedes theory, which always arrives
too late.  The communicative intellect forgets the theory of
communicative praxis in order to create a practice of communication."
-- Taylor and Saarinen

"For communication to have meaning it must have a life. It must
transcend "you and me" and become "us". If I truly communicate, I see
in you a life that is not me and partake of it. And you see and
partake of me. In a small way we then grow out of our old selves and
become something new. To have this kind of sharing I cannot enter
into a  conversation clutching myself. I must enter it with loose
boundaries, I must give myself to the relationship, and be willing to
be what grows out of it..."
-- Hugh Prather

"People will speak,  They will not speak in order to convince, or to
drown the noise of silence.  They will speak because it will be easy
to do so, and because life will surge from their mouths together with
the words.  Everything will be filled with life.  There will no
longer be room for anything dead or unintelligible."
-- Jean-Marie LeClezio

This brief essay, addressing concepts of learning within networks, is
a follow-up to the introduction of the neoscenes occupation project**
that appeared in the last issue of acoustic.space in 1999.

It is encouraging to note a growing awareness within the ECB, BIN,
NICE and other cultural networks regarding the critical importance of
education.  There is much work yet to be done, however.  The present
focus of attention within cultural organizations seems to be on
fund-raising efforts and the associated (often short-term) practical
challenges to survival.  Of course, these are very important tasks
for assembling viable systems, and, to be sure, issues of funding and
political presence are critical to the existence of physically
localized organizations -- this brief essay is not meant to be a
critique of the realities of existence!  But at the same time, if
cultural networks focus single-mindedly on fiscal and structural
issues, there is a real danger that their long-term vitality may be
jeopardized.

The open engagement of the local and remote communities in organic
and transformative learning is a key for the long-term viability of a
network.  The stimulation of positive conditions for personal and
collective growth should be a primary concern for network
participants.  Modernist education models are not at all adequate or
even desirable when mapped into the flat social structure of a
network.  It is, in fact, the rise of global networks that offer us
the opportunity to transform the entire contemporary nature of
education and its relationship with learning.

Based on anecdotal and first-hand evidence gathered in educational
systems across the developed world, it appears that academic
education is becoming more and more irrelevant despite its dominant
institutional position within local and national social structures.
A core factor for this disengagement is the reliance of educational
systems on the format (and associated ideology) of the printed book
and associated patterns of mediated rote "learning."

Observe a child in his/her natural routine of living, and you will
see the operation of a primary process of human learning.  Children
learn intuitively by observing and imitating actions or acting
spontaneously in connection to their immediate environment.  They do
not learn by being told what to do or by reading what the doing is
like.  The negative refrain "do as I say, not as I do" guiltily
echoes in many a parent's head when confronted by the true reality of
the learning process.

This aspect of individual development only highlights the weakness of
text-based instruction -- a system that often relies on regurgitation
of previously condensed and simplified information as supplied by
textbooks.  The rise of modern industrial society and the rise of a
mass education system follow parallel evolutionary paths that are
more or less detached from the day-to-day needs and experiences of
the individual. To illustrate the trajectory, one need only consider
the field of engineering.  As one pillar supporting the agenda of
global industrial development, engineering holds as its grail the
efficient use of time and materials.  The modernist concept of
education focuses on a similar goal of efficiency in the use of the
knowledge, information, and the student - "learning" to be allotted
in measured portions (curricula), not too much, not too little -- so
that the student becomes skilled enough to produce within the needs
of the production matrix, but not too knowledgeable to become aware
of the explicit imbalances of the overall system.  Many teachers are
conscious of this built-in paradox, but are powerless to implement
systemic changes that would be required to "fix" the current state of
things.  The massive social transformation from an Industrial to
Information Society is proceeding in such a way that most educational
institutions are not able to re-tool themselves in any but surficial
ways (for example,  the distance learning fiasco).

What are the solutions?  How can education, and the broader concept
of learning be redefined and expanded so that it embraces vital
cultural and social "do-ing" as a source of energy?  How can
energized alternatives be implemented? Even taken on a surficial and
pragmatic level, this challenge is crucial to face.  For example, if
we consider the development of an informed population having a
empowering level of media literacy, the learning experience must
focus on experiences that lie almost wholly outside of the realm of
traditional text-based education.  This implies the creation of an
altogether new paradigm, not a simple methodological shift.

To a skilled and sensitive teacher, this is an perhaps an obvious
sentiment to be acted upon in the traditional classroom whenever
possible.  The question is, where are the skilled teachers who
understand the implications of the contemporary information society?
I think they are be found among the many active practitioners within
our networks!  What then are the best strategies for extending the
fruits of their wisdom that are collectively represented within
cultural networks?

The first step is to establish a healthy network.  This is a dynamic,
time-consuming, lively, and more or less intuitive process that
relies of a multiplicity of sustained dialogues between individual
nodes.  A strong network made up of local cultural/community
initiatives becomes the locus for significant creative activities. As
this space or situation becomes vitally active, it automatically
becomes the site of learning.  It would be wrong, however, to assume
that any networked situation is an optimized opportunity for
learning.  There is always the option to raise the intensity level of
collaborative learning through careful facilitation and focusing of
attention.  This is where our experienced practitioners should enter
the scene, at the moment when the opportunities for sharing knowledge
arise.  This process of dynamic "full disclosure" of personal
experience is a powerful flux of energy that initiates and sustains
dialogue like no other single act.  This energy directly feeds back
into the network to keep it healthy.

It is important to acknowledge that there are already significant
learning activities happening in network spaces, and this is not a
call to codify or otherwise regulate those situations.  It is only a
call to activate the self-awareness that sharing energies within
these complex situations is fundamental to the propagation of
wisdom.  And in a world where fashions and paradigms change with the
electronic winds of media, a little long-term wisdom can do a lot to
strengthen and extend the community structures we are seeking to
build through these networks.

A particular strength of creative learning situations that operate
within distributed networks is that they have the possibility of
escaping at least some of the oppressive effects imposed by local
hierarchies.  Most local controlling hierarchies (for example, an
academy administration, or a bureaucratic cultural funding body) have
little appreciation or even basic knowledge of the development of
networked environments. They may even have an active phobia of any
technological implementations, naively directed at the digital
object.  This fear is justified in the sense that open network
platforms have and will continue to contain complex evolutionary
sites of social interaction which threaten the status quo.  The
negative and homophobic expression of these fears appears to be
strengthening in many "open societies."  It is not a coincidence that
traditional models of education rely on fear to accomplish their
goals!  At the same moment as these negative forces are mobilizing,
we have an incredible opportunity to activate local and distributed
communities to create situations where real learning evolves.  The
structures of fear and ignorance across the social landscape can be
slowly transformed into enlightened and inspiring community.

I will close this essay with a challenge directed to the cultural
networks that are engaged in the struggle to use technology as a
creative platform for social, cultural, and individual change: that
in the coming months they formulate new ways that they can share the
collective knowledge and wisdom they have gained.  With a thoughtful
open-platform of dialogue and action in this area, the long-term
vitality of these networks and their presence as a significant
feature of the cultural landscape will be guaranteed.

Thanks to all of you who are so thoughtfully engaged out there on the
network, it has been my pleasure to discuss some of these issues with
you over the past year!

John Hopkins, Helsinki 30.09.2000

http://neoscenes.net
information: <hopkins@iex.net>

**neoscenes occupation at http://neoscenes.net/nso is creating an
autonomous network of culturally active people with a dynamic agenda.