nettime's_man_behind_the_curtain on 31 Oct 2000 00:04:41 -0000

<nettime> electoral drift digest [x4]

"Dan Wang" <danwang@mindspring.com>
     Re: <nettime> Nader is important: get rid of him! [digest x7]
"Kevin Paul" <kpaul@nmia.com>
     Re: <nettime> (Voting for)? Nader (is|was) important, get rid <...>
"Benjamin Geer" <benjamin.geer@btinternet.com>
     Re: <nettime> Nader! Bush! Gore! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! digest [x4]
Miroslav Visic <visic@pipeline.com>
     Re: <nettime> Nader is important: get rid of him!

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:15:59 -0600
Subject: Re: <nettime> Nader is important: get rid of him! [digest x7]
From: "Dan Wang" <danwang@mindspring.com>

----------
>From: "nettime's_man_behind_the_curtain" <nettime@bbs.thing.net>
>To: Nettime <nettime-l@bbs.thing.net>
>Subject: <nettime> Nader is important: get rid of him! [digest x7]
>Date: Sun, Oct 29, 2000, 10:54 PM
>

> bring on the long knives, have fun. i'm voting
> Gore.
>
> jg

You're right, but so are the Nader-voters. To me, the big picture is
this: whoever wins, Nader likely will have made a serious impact. If
it's Gore, okay, we get a slightly less barbaric administration, but
the progressive forces will also inevitably let down their guard, and
the stealth-corporate Gore will inevitably rise to the surface. If
it's bush, then it's four years of hellish attacks on anything
civilized, mixed with blunt incompetence. But that will force
progressives into more offensive postures, take more risks, sharpen
counter attacks.

Gore wins, fine, it will have been just barely and Nader will have
helped create a base that the dems can no longer take for granted.
Bush wins, not so fine, but the Nader base becomes an instant
foundation of real opposition that did not exist in such form even a
year ago. And the Democrats will have to build bridges to that base as
the proof of not doing so will be the lost election.

This is a rare opportunity to actually have that vote count: Gore
wins, okay. Gore loses, but Nader gets five percent, okay. Gore loses
and Nader gets less than five percent, but the total of the two is
more than Bush's total, okay. Important messages and political
strength shown in all those scenarios.

Gore loses, Nader less than five percent, the total of both less than
Bush's? Then this country is in worse shape than I thought, I wouldn't
have believed that possible. So vote for either Gore or Nader, just
not Bush.

dan w.