Benjamin Geer on 15 Nov 2000 03:17:06 -0000

Re: <nettime> Cellphones and the Cancer of Cellspace

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:06:28PM +0100, Michael van Eeden wrote:
> it seems to me most people never even consider _not_ answering their
> phones. Actually, most people really appreciate it i turn off my phone
> when it rings during a conversation. There are long stretches of time
> nobody can reach me because i choose to turn my phone off.

I've noticed that, although people seem to love making calls on their
mobile, they almost invariably seem irritated when it rings.  They
like the *idea* of being contactable all the time, but in practice,
they usually don't want to be interrupted.  The solution, of course,
is the leave the mobile turned off.  At that point, it becomes a
substitute for building an adequate system of public phones, which
would be a much less expensive solution overall.

--
Benjamin Geer
http://www.btinternet.com/~amisuk/bg