Bram Dov Abramson on 6 Dec 2000 04:51:23 -0000

Re: <nettime> Fw: Enemies of the Future

>I can't help wondering about the role of the US based business
>media in selling the idea of the US as a place to invest. All
>that relentless stock boosting hype. For a short while those
>prophesies can be perfectly self fulfilling.

Indeed.  But it has at least as much to do, maybe more, with the role of
*non* U.S. based business media in constructing the U.S. in general, and
Silicon Valley in particular, as the get-rich mecca of geniuses and
visionaries.  I never cease to be amazed by stories in trade magazines from
various points around the industrialized world insisting that local Bright
Young Things will, if they are serious, migrate to California where it's
all really happening.

This maps onto linguistic practice too, of course.  Nearly every
telecom/Internet journalist I have spoken with on the telephone from the
French trade publications has at some point interrupted or reinflected our
conversation to demonstrate in no uncertain terms that s/he is happy
(enthusiastic, even) to speak English, therefore fluent in the language of
the New Economy.

cheers
Bram