text warez on 8 Dec 2000 06:02:42 -0000

<nettime> They came, they surfed, they went back to the beach

Virtual Society? the social science of electronic technologies

They came, they surfed, they went back to the beach: why some
people stop using the internet

 by Sally Wyatt

 Related Story: Slump in the Number of US Internet Users (Cyber
 Dialogue 30th November 1999)
 http://www.nua.ie/surveys/?f=VS&art_id=905355438&rel=true

 Net is passing fad
 http://www.computeruser.com/news/00/12/05/news4.html

 (Prepared for the Society for Social Studies of Science
 conference, San Diego, October 1999)

 DO NOT CITE WITHOUT AUTHOR&#8217;S PERMISSION. COMMENTS WELLCOME.

 In many discussions about the future of the internet, it is
 assumed that once people have been exposed to its wonders, they
 will embrace it wholeheartedly. Thus, data about the growth of
 numbers of users are extrapolated to demonstrate even greater
 future growth. Problems of non-access are associated with
 various forms of social exclusion; the possibility of voluntary
 non-access is rarely acknowledged. Even more rare is the
 recognition of the possibility that people might make an
 informed choice not to continue to use the internet.

 Within the technology and innovation studies literature, there
 is discussion of public acceptance of new technology, public
 resistance (often assumed to be based on ignorance and fear),
 barriers to use and how to overcome them. Such literature
 usually assumes access to technology is necessarily desirable,
 and the question becomes one of how to increase access.
 Informed, voluntary rejection of technology is not mentioned. I
 will return to this later, but I want to argue that this
 invisibility reflects the continued dominance of the virtues of
 technological progress, not only amongst policy-makers but also
 amongst the STS academic community, who would probably reject
 such a charge.

 This presentation draws on some of the data being analysed
 within the Virtual Society? Project, From the net to the web and
 beyond: actors and interests in the construction of the internet
 being conducted together with two colleagues from the University
 of East London, Tiziana Terranova and Graham Thomas, who do not
 necessarily share the views I am about to express. At best, this
 is work-in-progress, however, it is more of an initial
 exploration of some ideas preparatory to developing further
 research. Identifying this invisible group raises again the
 questions surrounding the ANT dictum, &#8216;follow the actors&#8217;,
which
 have already been raised by Martin & Scott 1992, Russell 1986,
 Bijsterveld 1991. How do you do this when some actors are
 completely invisible?

 The presentation has three aims:

   To review the available data and literature about internet
   rejectors    To discuss the policy implications of internet
   rejection and non-use To explore the implications for
   technology studies of the absence of technology rejectors

 1. Available data and literature about internet rejectors  This
 will be a very short discussion &#8211; there isn&#8217;t much. I did a
 literature search on various combinations of internet,
 computers, information technology, technology on the one hand
 and rejection, dropout, non-use, barriers, have-nots on the
 other, and came up with very little, and most often with no hits
 at all. &#8216;Barriers&#8217; yielded most, but most of that was about
 national level adoption or education. &#8216;Drop-outs&#8217; also
provided
 quite a few, including some interesting material about young
 people who dropped out of school or university as a result of
 doing too much internet surfing. My absolute favourite was
 entitled, &#8216;treating technophobia &#8211; a longitudinal evaluation
of
 the computerphobia reduction program&#8217;. Sounds very painful!

 The only work I&#8217;m aware of is by two Americans &#8211; James Katz
and
 Philip  Aspden in a paper which appeared last year in
 Telecommunications Policy. Their analysis of &#8216;internet
dropouts&#8217;
 was a side-effect of some research about barriers to Internet
 use in the US. They candidly admit they included the category of
 &#8216;former user&#8217; in their surveys only for logical completeness.

 They conducted a national random telephone survey to investigate
 users&#8217; and non-users&#8217; perceptions of the Internet. They were
 surprised to discover in October 1995 that ex-users and current
 users each accounted for about 8% of the sample. They did
 another survey in November 1996, by which time the proportion of
 current users had more than doubled to 19% of the sample, the
 proportion of ex-users had also increased, but by less, to 11%

 Some interesting results:

   teenagers are more likely to drop out than those over 20
   reasons for dropping out also varied by age older people more
   likely to complain about costs and difficulties of usage
   younger people more likely to quit because of loss of access
   or lack of interest (if widespread, and true that the internet
   is one of many things with which teenagers experiment and then
   use in moderation, then important implications for the long-
   term future of the internet)

 Another tiny bit of data concerns the use of the Amsterdam
 Digital City &#8211;  one of the early digital cities. In the past
 couple of years, many previously regular users have stopped
 visiting. In this case, they have not become ex-users of the
 Internet, but as service providers have proliferated, they have
 more choices. Until recently, the Amsterdam Digital City was one
 of the few sources of email and an easily accessible host for
 web pages. The community building aspirations of the ADC were
 not compelling for many of their early users. This also has
 important implications for those committed to the community
 building potential of the Internet.

 Perhaps we need to turn to some other technologies. For example,
 there is  some recent work by Louis Leung and Ran Wei about
 mobile phone use/non-use in Hong Kong. Mobile phones have a much
 longer history than the internet as a consumer technology.
 Following the work of Everett Rogers in the 1980s about adoption
 of communication technologies, they identify four groups of
 factors important in determining whether someone adopts a
 technology or not:

   Individual personality traits (not included in this study)
   Socio-economic characteristics Interpersonal communication
   influence (including use by individuals&#8217; social networks, and
   mass media, but not advertising) Perceived attributes of the
   innovation itself

 Age, income, gender and education all work in expected ways.
 However, age  dominates &#8211; if you&#8217;re older (unspecified),
having
 more money and more education doesn&#8217;t make much difference.
 Income levels are declining in significance &#8211; suggesting the
 good old theory, beloved by free marketeers, of &#8216;trickle
down&#8217;
 works &#8211; mobile phones are no longer perceived as the preserve of
 young men in suits. Intensity of use of mass media is not
 significant, but belonging to social groups which use mobile
 phones is. Equally unsurprising is the finding that non-users
 perceive the technology to be unnecessary because they have an
 alternative or because they find mobile phones complex to use
 (including pricing structures) or intrusive. Leung and Wei&#8217;s
 results confirm a growing gap between communication rich and
 poor, with mobile phone users more likely to possess a range of
 alternative and complimentary forms of telecommunication &#8211;
 pagers, answering machines, etc; whereas non-users simply had
 one reasonable alternative. [Note: this accepts the premise that
 more communication devices = good; only one adequate
 communication device = bad] This work on mobile phones isn&#8217;t
 very surprising &#8211; people don&#8217;t use mobile phones if they have

 alternatives, think they&#8217;re intrusive and/ or expensive. By
 extension, maybe some people don&#8217;t use the internet because they
 have alternative sources of information and forms of
 communication which are appropriate to their needs, or because
 they think it is cumbersome and expensive.

 2. Policy implications of internet rejection and non-use  The
 question of dropouts may only be a transient issue &#8211; all
 dropouts may eventually return to the fold. On the other hand,
 the internet may follow the model of CB radio &#8211; explosive growth
 followed by collapse. It&#8217;s still too soon to say. In any event,
 in the US alone, there are literally millions of former users
 about whom very little is known. They may be a source of
 important information for subsequent developments. Even within
 the paradigm of increasing access, it is important to know why
 such people leave and what could be done to lure them back.
 Rather than denying the possibility of their existence, internet
 service and content providers as well as policy-makers might all
 have much to learn from this group. Steve Woolgar tells me that
 when he told the industrial member of the Virtual Society?
 advisory group who is a member of the World Wide Web consortium
 about this data regarding the existence of former users, the
 response is that Steve is &#8216;completely bonkers&#8217;. Why do actors

 find voluntary rejection so hard to contemplate?

 What categories of non-use can we identify?    Never used &#8211;
 because don&#8217;t want to Never used &#8211; because can&#8217;t get
access, for
 variety of reasons Stopped using &#8211; voluntarily (boring,
 alternatives, cost, etc.) Stopped using &#8211; involuntarily (cost,
 loss of institutional access, etc.)

 Policy implications are different for the different groups &#8211; for
 1&3 it might be appropriate to develop new services to attract
 them [or, learning from the Minitel experience &#8211; get rid of some
 old ones so people have to switch]; traditional access issues
 related to cost, skill and location might be important for 2&4.

 Once one has made the step of including &#8216;former user&#8217;, as
well
 as &#8216;current  user&#8217; and &#8216;never a user&#8217;, it is not
too much more
 of a leap to begin to take apart the notion of &#8216;user&#8217;. What
 exactly does it mean to be a user? How is it defined? A recent
 survey in the UK (NOP early summer 1999) suggests that 26% of
 users didn&#8217;t access the internet at all in the week preceding
 the survey, and a further 20% only accessed it once or twice.
 [This survey illustrates another curious feature of internet
 usage data: when users themselves are asked, no one admits to
 looking for pornography. A rather different picture emerges when
 one looks at provider data. I realise I have presented the
 frequency of use data as if it is unproblematic whereas the
 point of this comment about the nature of use is to call into
 question the reliability of the data.] The point I&#8217;m trying to
 make is that we need to treat the notion of internet usage in a
 rather more nuanced way, distinguishing between complete
 &#8216;surfies&#8217;, and those people who don&#8217;t like to get their
hair wet
 and only venture into the water occasionally.

 3. Implications for technology studies of the absence of non-
 users  It&#8217;s time to declare my personal interest in this topic.
 Of course I use the internet, though I don&#8217;t have home access. I
 could not have written this without it &#8211; both to check sources
 and to discuss some of the ideas with friends and colleagues in
 different parts of the world. However, there is another major
 20th century technology which I don&#8217;t use &#8211; a car, the
&#8216;machine
 that changed the world&#8217;. I&#8217;m very well qualified &#8211;
passed my
 test first time in Toronto when I was 16 &#8211; took me two tries in
 England when I was 25. I&#8217;ve never really driven much &#8211; twice
 think since I passed my British test 15 years ago, and I have
 never owned a car. Even amongst critically and environmentally
 aware STS scholars, at least those in the UK and US, this is
 regarded as a deviant and bizarre choice. One of my closest
 friends thinks it reflects a failure to grow up on my part:
 &#8216;real adults drive cars&#8217;.

 [I don&#8217;t want to give the impression of being a neo-Heideggerian
 &#8211; I do  own other contemporary IT-based products, and travel
 frequently by plane. I enjoy many of the features of late 20th
 century life.] To what extent is not driving analagous to not
 using the internet? Given the prevalence of &#8216;superhighway&#8217;
 metaphors in some policy discussions, particularly here in the
 US, is there anything to be learned from non-drivers? Or are
 they another invisible group? (Yes &#8211; according to my recent
 literature search.) Especially non-drivers like me who have a
 choice. I could afford a car &#8211; most of my British colleagues
 have one. Not having one is usually regarded as a sign of
 deprivation. At the very least, the existence of people like me
 means we have to be careful about how we interpret data about
 non-ownership/use of particular technologies. Maybe non-use of
 the internet reflects some other phenomenon &#8211; like it&#8217;s
boring,
 there are easier alternatives for obtaining the same
 information, people would rather spend their time and money
 doing other things, or people have spatially close social
 relationships.

 Thinking about cars also highlights the connections between the
 online  world and the offline world. I simultaneously inhabit
 the same world as car drivers and a different one. My life is
 affected by cars &#8211; as a pedestrian and more recently a cyclist,
 I have to watch out for them; as an organism that needs oxygen,
 my quality of air is affected; as a bus user, they slow me down.
 I am constrained by the reach of public transport in where I can
 live and visit. My knowledge of London is very much based on
 public transport routes convenient to where I lived. Just as
 there are different maps of the physical world, so there are of
 the internet. The London underground map is a better and more
 useful representation of my experience than a topographical one.
 There is also a parallel universe which I don&#8217;t visit much.
 Recently I was driven from London to Amsterdam. I was fascinated
 &#8211; to the amusement of my driver friend - by this alien world of
 motorways, petrol stations, motorway services, drive-on ferries.
 There are advantages to not driving &#8211; saves me lots of money,
 time and stress, reduces my chances of being killed or killing
 others, and in these post-Rio, post-Montreal days of greater
 environmental awareness, provides me with a tremendous feeling
 of self-righteousness. Will the cyberworld come to dominate the
 real world to anything like the same extent? Is it possible to
 turn off the machine? Or, will everyone&#8217;s choices come to be
 shaped by the net?

 1. Technology as cultural symbol  All technologies are imbued
 with cultural significance. This is especically true for the
 car, a paradigm case of a symbol of modernity in the 20th
 century. To many people cars reflect wealth, power, virility and
 freedom. The internet promises many of the same attributes, on
 an even larger scale, with its promise of global reach. While
 this simply might not be appropriate for many individuals and
 organisations for whom time is not short and for whom
 geographical distance between self and significant others is not
 great, the symbolic importance remains profound.

 2. Technology as control and surveillance

 You need a license to drive a car, though you didn&#8217;t during its
 early days  [in Belgium they became compulsory only on 1 January
 1967; anyone over 18 on that date received a license
 automatically, email: Jacques Berleur, &#8216;funny question&#8217;, 20
 October 1999]. In many parts of the world, a driver&#8217;s license
 serves as official identification. In the UK, you are legally
 obliged to inform the DVLC (Driver Vehicle License Centre) of a
 change of address. Most people are not aware of it, but it
 effectively serves as a population register, and is used as such
 by the police. These days, much car use is subject to enormous
 levels of surveillance, through the spread of cctv (closed
 circuit television) [discussions in Netherlands about electronic
 tracking of all cars]. Many of us choose to ignore the
 surveillance capacities of the internet in our daily practices,
 hoping that the sheer volume of traffic will serve to protect
 our privacy, but all of our activities on the internet are
 pretty transparent. If you wish to escape the surveillance
 capabilities of modern societies, avoid modern technologies.

 3. Network technologies as totalising externalities  Cars are
 not simply wheels, engines and steel: they include test centres
 for drivers and vehicles, motorways, garages, petro-chemical
 industry, drive-in movies, out-of-town shopping centres. The
 more people use cars, the greater the infrastructure to support
 them, and the lessening of car-free space. Similarly, the
 internet is not just web content: it includes computers,
 telecommunication links, routers, servers and other
 applications. The more people use it, the more pressure there is
 to develop user-friendly interfaces and provide greater
 bandwidth. But there is a paradox here: the technologies become
 more useful if more people use them but both tarmac highways and
 electronic superhighways become more congested. There have been
 several ads recently for cars on British, Dutch and Canadian
 television in which the ideal presented is of a single car on a
 remote, non-urban road &#8211; no other cars, no other people. This
 resonates with Wired&#8217;s pictorial representation of the future
 [nature &#8211; no machines, no people &#8211; use OHP, january 98
issue].

 [Technology vs. Nature]

 [Is rejection of technology, whether cars or the internet, an
 indication  of a deep green agenda? Is it possible to occupy a
 more ambivalent position, or is Donna Haraway right, that we&#8217;re
 all cyborgs now? &#8211; need to think about this some more, won&#8217;t
 mention it]

 4. Specific technology as leitmotif for social science research
 In the 1970s and throughout part of the 1980s, even for
 researchers not particularly involved in STS, the car and its
 industry were the site of much empirical research. Moreover, the
 auto worker was the prototypical industrial worker. [Today, is
 the prototypical worker the code slave, the call centre operator
 or the supercool multimedia designer?] For better or worse, the
 car industry became the symbol of industrial society, and much
 effort was expended in understanding the dynamics of that
 industry. There were problems with this including the
 promulgation of the idea of the skilled male worker as the norm,
 and the generalisation of a set of industrial relations and
 working practices to other sectors. Social theory focused on
 questions of alienation and massification, extending them, not
 always appropriately, to other areas of social life.

 In terms of social science research agendas, we may be
 witnessing  something similar today, possibly even on a grander
 scale. Just as countries have programmes to promote ICT R&D, to
 encourage the location of ICT production and the adoption of
 ICTs by industry, lots of social science research programmes are
 devoted to studying the re-configuration of the social-technical
 divide, using ICTs in general and the internet in particular as
 exemplars. For example, the Virtual Society? Programme asks,

   Are fundamental shifts taking place in how people behave,
   organise themselves and interact as a result of new
   technologies? Are electronic technologies bringing about
   significant changes in the nature and experience of
   interpersonal relations, in communications, social control,
   participation, inclusion and exclusion, social cohesion, trust
   and identity? (ESRC 1999: 3)

 Perfectly good questions, but even though they allow for
 negative answers  and the question mark illustrates the
 programme&#8217;s commitment to scepticism, there is a danger that we
 may repeat past mistakes &#8211; to totalise; to take the use of ICT
&#8211;
 by individuals, organisations and countries - as the norm and
 non-use as a deficiency to be remedied. I am suggesting that one
 way of avoiding these problems is to take seriously non-users
 and former users as relevant social groups, as actors who might
 influence the shape of the world. Once we&#8217;ve solved the problem
 of how to research the invisible, maybe it will be time to stop
 researching ICT altogether.

 Acknowledgements

 The work on which this is based is supported
 by the Virtual Society? Programme
 (http://www.virtualsociety.org.uk)
 of the Economic and Social
 Research Council, grant no. L132251050.

 Tiziana Terranova and Graham Thomas, with whom I am working on
 this project, almost certainly do not share the views expressed here.

 Bibliography
 Bijsterveld, Karen (1991) &#8216;The nature of aging. Some problems of
 an "insider&#8217;s perspective" illustrated by dutch debates aboug
 aging (1945-1982)&#8217; Paper presented at the Society for Social
 Studies of Science meeting, cambridge, MA. November. Burrows,
 Roger et al (1999) &#8216;Virtual community care? Social policy and
 the emergence of computer mediated social support&#8217; paper
 prepared for submission to Information, communication and
 society. ESRC (1999) Virtual Society? The social science of
 electronic technologies, Profile &#8217;99, Swindon: ESRC. Katz, James
 E and Aspden, Philip (1998) &#8216;Internet dropouts in the USA&#8217;
 Telecommunications Policy, 22, 4/5, pp.327-39. Leung, Louis and
 Wei, Ran (1999) &#8216;Who are the mobile phone have-nots? Influences
 and consequences&#8217; New Media & Society, 1,2, pp.209-26. Martin,
 Brian and Scott, Pam (1992) &#8216;Automatic vehicle identification: A
 test of theories of technology&#8217; Science, Technology and Human
 Values, 17,4, pp.485-505. NOP (1999) &#8216;Internet user profile
 study&#8217; confidential report prepared in September for syndicate
 members. Russell, Stewart (1986) &#8216;The social construction of
 artefacts: A response to Pinch and Bijker&#8217; Social Studies of
 Science, 16, pp.331-46. Email comments from Flis Henwood, Helen
 Kennedy, Tim Jordan, Ian Miles, Lera Miles, Nod Miller, Dave
 O&#8217;Reilly, Graham Thomas; pencil comments from Hans Radder.

 Sally Wyatt  University of Amsterdam Wyatt@swi.psy.uva.nl