Ana Viseu on 9 Dec 2000 02:42:03 -0000

<nettime> Downbeat Mood at Tech Conference

[This is an interesting article on a tech. business conference somewhere in
the US,  that reflects well the mood of the new economy business. Besides
the obvious, the market is going down and tech. business are not doing as
they expected, it is interesting to look at the statements by the many of
the CEOs and see patterns in their understanding of this phenomenon. These
go from the recognition that perhaps the new-economy follows the same old
cycles, to the 'saving my ass' attitude (my company is different from my
competitor's one), to the creation of new theories to explain this
phenomenon, such as the "the cockroach theory", i.e., "where there is one,
there is going to be a whole lot of them.'' Best. Ana]

Downbeat Mood at Tech Conference

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Dec. 2 - Michael Dell just came out and said it.

``There haven't been a lot of great reasons to buy a new computer,'' Mr.
Dell, the chairman of the Dell Computer Corporation told a group of
investors here this week.

Jeffrey Weitzen, president and chief executive of one of Dell's rivals,
Gateway, put it another way, the day after his company shocked the market
with news that sales and profits would fall far below forecasts.

``Do you really need a gigahertz processor?'' Mr. Weitzen said during an
interview here. ``We're finding people don't need that. The drive for speed
is no longer what it once was.''

Neither is the drive for online retailing, said Shelby Bonnie, chief
executive of the technology news service, CNet Network. "People have way
oversold the e-tailing space."

The doomsday declarations were uttered at the annual technology conference
sponsored by the investment bank Credit Suisse First Boston, which seemed
to be ground zero this week for the implosion of investor confidence in the
information technology sector.

The conference's organizer, Elliott Rogers, managing director and head of
the company's technology research group, said as much: "Suspicions of
problems have been confirmed. It's like getting hit by a 2 by 4."

The conference, a weeklong open-microphone session for chief executives of
technology companies, coincided with a particularly heavy pummeling of the
technology-heavy Nasdaq composite index, which fell nearly 9 percent this
week. And the 2,000 or so investors here seemed to divide their attention
between the Nasdaq and the 200 technology chiefs who found themselves here
not to praise their companies but mainly to explain themselves.

The message from many was consistent, if it sounds a bit desperate at
times: The drop in their stock prices was simply part of a correction - an
over-correction, they insisted, and not a reflection of the fundamentals of
their businesses.

And yet, there was no getting around the evidence that the stock-market
correction coincided with an actual slowdown in some key segments of the
technology industry.

It is not news that the dot-com industry is in the dumps. But now, so is
the semiconductor business. ``You've got Intel and AMD on a suicide mission
to make the fastest chip,'' Mr. Rogers said. AMD, or Advanced Micro
Devices, is Intel's main competitor.

Fast chips, for now, anyway, may be beside the point. Computer makers are
now saying their main source of revenue will be accessories, not the
computers themselves. They are recasting their business plan along the
lines of the time-honored practice of giving away the razor and profiting
from the sale of blades. Gateway, for example, is hoping to grow by
emphasizing a broad range of training packages and services for PC's, as
well as electronic devices that can be linked to the Internet or networked
in a home.

But the troubled industries go beyond makers of PC's and PC chips. The
Internet consulting services industry is gasping for air - notably
MarchFirst, which this week forecast a fourth-quarter loss of perhaps 30
cents a share, instead of the seven cents a share profit analysts had
expected. The software companies are not exactly booming. And various
hardware companies are trying to figure out what a slowdown in the
telecommunications industry will mean to them.

Each in their own way, the industry chiefs seemed to be asking the same
questions: Is my rivals' problem going to become mine? Am I really in a
cyclical business? Is the new economy subject to the same ebbs and flows as
the old economy?

Thomas Galvin, a Credit Suisse analyst, described the technology troubles
as "the cockroach theory - where there is one, there is going to be a whole
lot of them.''

That may explain why chief executives at the conference tried to put as
much distance as possible between their companies and their ailing
competitors. For instance, Compaq Computer's chief, Michael Capellas, had
this message for the audience: "So for all those people who ask, `How was
your Thanksgiving?' It was just fine, thank you.'' He was alluding to the
announcement last week that Gateway's PC sales over the Thanksgiving
weekend were down 30 percent from last year.

Lawrence J. Ellison, the outspoken chairman of the software company Oracle,
took pains to praise his company's offerings for the e-commerce industry,
primarily on grounds that they were so different from anything produced by
his rivals. ``It's unimaginable to me that we got this one wrong,'' Mr.
Ellison said.

Steve Case, chairman and chief executive of America Online, told a packed
room that investors had wildly overreacted to negative market news
recently, battering his stock way lower than it deserved. ``There are
companies, including AOL, that now are screaming buys,'' he insisted.

John Connors, of Microsoft, sounded as much like a salesman as what he
actually is - the company's chief financial officer. ``There is no better
place to invest now than in the technology industry,'' Mr. Connors said.
``Is there a cliff? Only if consumers decided they didn't want to buy our
products anymore.''

And Jeff Dachis, chief executive of the Internet consulting and World Wide
Web-development company, Razorfish, sought to distance his company from
others in the struggling Internet services business. ``We're not part of
that circus,'' he asserted.

``We're a real live company with profits. Don't lump us into the gloom and
doom.''

Despite that gloom and doom, Credit Suisse First Boston did call the bottom
on several technology stocks and rate them strong buys, including
DigitalThink, which offers corporate training courses over the Internet.
The stock that Credit Suisse was pushing hardest was the chip maker
Fairchild Semiconductor International, despite an acknowledgment by
Fairchild's own chief financial officer, Joseph Martin, that a ``cloud''
hung over the entire sector.

And how might investors start picking the good apples among the bad? It
will not be easy, but analysts say that companies that serve a particular
market with the most sophisticated products for which there are few
alternatives are the companies that tend to do the best if the market turns
bad. There may not be a big demand to upgrade most commonplace computers,
the reasoning goes, but there will always be a demand for the fastest
systems among the customers that actually do need additional speed and
processing power.

The same goes for hardware in other companies. Even as telecommunication
companies face debt problems and ponder cutting their capital spending, for
example, there are still some products - like the optical networking gear
made by companies like Cisco and Juniper - that they feel simply they must
have.

And as for those dot-coms - at least the survivors? It may get worse before
it gets better, but Mr. Bonnie of CNet insisted that it will eventually get
better. ``I'm sure the Wal-Marts took some time to get the kinks out,'' he
said.

Mr. Rogers, the conference organizer, said technology investors of all
stripes will simply have to accept certain economic realities.

``There is a shortfall in demand, if not a serious growth deceleration,''
he said. ``It's not just in computers. It's in everything. I've been
through this many times before. It's called a cycle.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/04/technology/04NECO.html
By Andrew Ross Sorkin; NYTimes; December 4, 2000