Soeren Pold on 15 Jan 2001 12:09:16 -0000

<nettime> Code as (literary) text

Dear Nettimers,

I'm interested in possible ways to discuss open source as a literary approach
to software - hackers as writers who view software as text and not commodity -
open source as a movement fighting to preserve the right to read and write with
software (as text). It seems to me like an obvious approach, though I haven't
found much work done with such a literary approach to programming (but probably
I've overlooked something). If you know anybody else working with such issues,
please inform me or the list!

About my own work: My background is in literature, and I've just written a
dissertation on relationsships between literature and modern media (from the 19
c. panorama to cinematic and digital media). I have a few articles out in
English, but the dissertation is in Danish - however, you can find an English
abstract at my homepage.

Sincerely,

**************** Ny adresse, email, telefon- og faxnummer ******************
**************** New adress, email, fax and phone number *******************
Soeren Pold, adjunkt (assistant professor)
Multimedia Studies & Comparative Literature
University of Aarhus			Office:	5341.121
IT Parken              			phone:	+45 8942 5654
Aabogade 34		   		fax	+45 8942 5624
DK-8200  Aarhus N, Denmark         	email: pold@multimedia.au.dk
http://www.multimedia.au.dk/~pold