fran ilich on 18 Jan 2001 22:08:19 -0000

<nettime> more than tired about nettime.

hi geert, pit, tom, nettimers,

> Dear Tom Sherman
> you are rightly tired of information.
> I do agree with you.
> That fits in the web-design discussion.
> let's change the mailing list in a web/multi/video/media/conferencing.

for sure and let the hard drives at the end of the world crash
instantly...

altough its a great idea, but this for sure would change radically the
format of the nettime-list. after this maybe we would have to move to a
forum or to a layout more like slashdot or indymedia. but this would
definitely be taking many steps towards revitalizing this hypertextual
network.

or we could always keep nettime as a maliling list, but im sure you
wouldnt be happy to receive a post with my hard disk attached. the other
option would be hyperlinks... and then theres the idea of cyberfiesta
chats and pavu-style online meetings...

but for sure, it would be great to "change the mailing list in a
web/multi/video/media/conferencing."

any ideas?

well, its the basic problem we have at sputnik now, the standard is
text/html but we need to become multimedia/broadband because we are
documenting the digital culture panorama, etc and there is no budget to
pay for it, but here at nettime is somehow easier because this is a
virtual community (i do hope howard rheingold agrees with this) and
altough to change it would be certainly difficult and we would have to
deal with a lot of problems not only in programming the interface but
making old users getting used to the new experience...

 somebody has to think of the layout, structure and of course actually do
the dirty job... the french people at pavu used to organize this chats, i
was in a few last year, and they had a different kind of interaction from
the one involved on the nettime international list... you know i dont
really like bold (basically because of volume and the poor quality of
posts) , altough of course this list has to exist because it appeals to a
large uadience, but think of the possibiltys (and i know you do) about a
new platform (maybe multi-platform) an archive with links, filew, video
and the option to get it on mailing list (because me just like you, like
better mailing lists than boards)... maybe something like a platform which
involves an archive, plus the list, plus the community, plus the actual
neighborhood of lists and communitys...

if you go to the mailing list you get just text plus links to the files,
etc... if you go to the board you get anything.... of course this is
moderated maybe some kind of meta-website (with links to net.art, real
audio, webcasts, databases, etc)...

or maybe im also getting the info junkie syndrome like tom sherman or pit
schultz...

pit schultz says:
> nettime was for me always an anachronistic
> element within the new media. i miss the long
> heavy textes very much.  significant
> crosspoints or just luxurious data-diwans.

apart from the obvious symptoms which one can experience with
info-addiction, nettime this days has a certain characteristic which makes
it somehow apart from new media reality because of its plain text quality,
which certainly helps the new media critic, but at the same time it
alienates itself from the new media experience, unlike for exaple to a
certant extent rhizome which does integrate a web interface/counterpart,
which even if its not an extension of the mailing list, it does extend the
context and

pit schultz says that " what people might seek for is the right info diet
or on the other hand the real dope, best in the mix".

this is really crucial i would say, just think of the possibilitys nettime
is letting go by, just by not incorporating many other elements, it needs
a little more warmness (so instead of adding a chat, lets add a
cyberfiesta board, etc, where people can put trivial comments or share an
mp3 link or an actual file.... everybody needs to get social from time to
time, and the bold list even for someone like me its a little too much...
but it would be great for people among the regional lists and the
international to actually socialize)... then we could have something like
the community but with more links.... maybe actually show the code of
nettime and do profiles on some of its members (a paragraph on heath
bunting with its picture, and then a piece on this unknown guy from
cairo)... and even some kind of news service with links to the news
sources....

and all this apart from making stronger and more durable the ties beetween
all this community of lists, would also help a lot, to a big volume of
subscribers who have to deal with the delete key and multiple posts of the
same email to the whole lot of lists. for sure this would help such a
diversity in lists become more senseful, meaningful, and specialized.

nos vemos en el futuro.

ilich.
editor @ large, sputnik.

http://www.sputnik.com.mx