nettime's_roving_reporter on 25 Jan 2001 23:07:23 -0000

<nettime> hacking google, hacking politics

<http://www.hugedisk.com/story.asp?ar_id=57>

                    You ain't huge. You ain't nothin'!

        © 2000 HugeDisk Enterprises. All rights reserved.

HugeDisk Helps Confirm G.W. Bush's Reputation

   The on-line reputation of a celebrity -- from a television star to a
   high-stakes politician -- can have a dramatic effect on that person's
   career. Hate and worship sites, a slanted news media, or on-line
   chat-style commentary can all have either a positive or negative
   influence. Because an on-line reputation is something that's created
   through the mass consciousness of the Internet, it can often be
   difficult to judge exactly what a celebrity's on-line reputation may
   be. Every once in a while, however, something magical happens that
   makes it possible for a reputation to be validated through the simple
   click of a button.

                       Press Generated By This Story

                            Wired Magazine[1]
                          The Register (UK)[2]

     [1] http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,41401,00.html
     [2] http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/16334.html

   We at HugeDisk Men's Magazine are proud to report that, although
   entirely unwittingly, we have done our part to cement Texas Governor
   George W. Bush's on-line reputation as that of a "dumb motherfucker".

   How did we contribute to so dubious an achievement? It was easy! On
   the first installment of our Ask Hester HugeDisk column we innocently
   ran a link from the words "dumb motherfucker" to George W. Bush's
   on-line campaign store. The search engines noticed that we, along with
   a few other websites, endorsed George as a "dumb motherfucker" and
   adjusted George's search engine rankings accordingly.

   Follow the directions below to see proof that George W. Bush is the
   Internet's premier dumb motherfucker.

    1. Click here[3] to open the Yahoo! search engine in a separate window.

    2. Type the words "dumb motherfucker" into Yahoo!'s search term box.

    3. Click Search, or press Enter.

     [3] http://www.yahoo.com/

   Who owns the first site listed there? The Internet's most popular dumb
   motherfucker, that's who. Thank you America!