Announcer on 10 Feb 2001 18:42:18 -0000

   le mediatrans.15
     matze.schmidt@n0name.de
   call for submissions
     thomas dumke <dumke@body-bytes.de>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:57:56 +0000
From: post@perfres.demon.co.uk (performance research)

WITH APOLOGIES FOR ANY CROSS-POSTING

WOMEN & PERFORMANCE: A JOURNAL OF FEMINIST THEORY
CALL FOR PAPERS

TRAFFICKING BOUNDARIES

A boundary is a crossover moment. It defines our longings for transcendence
and our passions to stay put. Trafficking Boundaries will explore how a
performance event or written text marks itself out from the
discursive/aesthetic practices it simultaneously embraces and transgresses
at its conception. This issue of the journal Women and Performance speaks to
academic and artistic interests concerned with how different kinds of
spaces - textual as well as physical - come to be codified, circulated,
represented and defined within the discursive landscape. We want to document
ways in which instances of boundary crossing create fruitful contamination
and thus may serve as resistance to, and transformation of, hegemonic
cultural material. Considered from this perspective, boundaries can be
addressed as sites of production in relation to current feminist praxis and
a broader critical engagement alike.

The metaphor of the boundary is familiar to performance and feminisms,
understood as a means of loosening up established disciplinary divisions.
Trafficking Boundaries seeks to challenge the hierarchical logic inherent
within traditional categories of genre and gender. We encourage work which
addresses the often enigmatic transactions and intersticial spaces that
arise among such generic affiliations.

We venture to ask what might be the long-term stakes in the fields of women'
s and performance studies in mixing genres as diverse as autobiography,
political propaganda, technological lingo, and manifesto, or of confounding
such different media and art forms as storytelling, video, live performance,
dance, bodyart, painting/sculpture, photography, music, newspaper fragments
and other everyday "trivia". Experimental writing, photo essays, poetry,
critical essays, visual art and ficto-criticism (as examples) are welcome
genres for submission to the present volume.

Writings on boundary crossing may include, but need not be restricted, to
topics such as:

generic intersection amongst performance traditions
performativity and gender construction
encodings of public and private space
installation and visual art hybridity
urban planning & spaces of transit (airports, hotel lobbies, bus-stops,
train stations)
collage, montage, bricolage
cross-contamination, plagiarism, palimpsests and parasitism
translation, methods of transcription and bilingualism
the rhetorical and the tropological
idle talk, gossip, rumor and heresay
legal discourse, testimony, confession and proofs

No abstracts, please! Materials due in hard copy: March 5, 2001
Please send to: Trafficking Boundaries, Issue #24 Editors
Women & Performance Journal, New York University
Tisch School of the Arts, Dept. of Performance Studies
721 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY- 10003
Editors: Sara Bailes and Maiken Derno
Questions can be e-mailed to: sjb226@nyu.edu  and dernos@worldonline.dk

Clancy Pegg (Editorial Administrator)
Performance Research