Alberto Gaitán on 14 Feb 2001 01:00:15 -0000

Re: <nettime> Usenet archives sold?

Rhonda seems to be making a tempest in a teapot about this
news, which is actually good, IMHO.

I have been using Deja regularly since it was dejanews.com, and
lamented their rolling off-line a significant amount of their archive in
the past years. They were in financial trouble and had to do that,
they said.

Whereas Usenet is a public resource, I'm pretty sure that no
reasonable person wouldn't consider a private archive of the usenet,
such as Deja's, to be public, since it lives on their servers and
they're under no obligation to archive messages for us in the first
place.

All that is moot. In their press release, Google says that it'll make
ALL the messages available, and will implement improved search
tools.

Please note the following statement from the release: "Once the
full Deja Usenet archive is added, users will be able to search and
browse more than 500 million archived messages with the speed
and efficiency of a Google search. In addition to expanding the
amount of searchable data, Google will soon provide improved
browsing capabilities and newsgroup posting.  "

Google is the one search engine out there that works, where I can
go and not be bombarded with ads in the process of conducting a
search. I like Google!

The way I see it, there's little to worry about other than starting
another Inbox clogging campaign.

Alberto Gaitán

-:=====  On 13 Feb 2001, Ronda Hauben wrote:  =====:-

> There is a press release at google that they have bought the Usenet
> archives from deja.com.
> http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/pressrelease48.html
 <...>