Paul Alfred on 15 Feb 2001 01:35:16 -0000

Re: <nettime> Usenet archives sold?

>Folks, Ronda has the right idea here. I was wondering whether there are
>any people here interested in exploring the idea of developing such an
>organization or working with existing organizations in order to preserve
>Internet archives?
>
>Regards
>S. (Sam) Kritikos

"Say, that fancifully idealogical idea is swell!  Does anyone else have any
interest in doing the legwork to find some generous benefactor to foot the
bill so that we accomplish the exact same thing some capitalist entity is
going to accomplish anyway?"

This Usenet argument isn't an argument about Usenet, or copyright, or that
kind of stuff.  It's just an expression of people's feelings toward
capitalism.  If we're going to debate this, let's debate the relevant
argument --- is capitalsim bad?  Does capitalism ruin the things that we
like because it is capitalism?

Or maybe it's just about elitism.  Does making a resource more available to
the masses ruin it for me because I am no longer a cool, unique individual
for using it?  Believe me, I felt the same way once Dave Matthews Band
became popular.

No, this is probably more about capitalism.  Let's discuss that if we're
going to discuss this subject at all.

Paul