nettime's digestive system on 22 Feb 2001 20:59:55 -0000

Re: <nettime> Usenet archives sold [2x]

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:42:23 +0100 (CET)
From: Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
Subject: Re: <nettime> Usenet archives sold

Well,

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Amy Alexander aka plagiari@plagiarist.org wrote:

> it's
> interesting to think how in some ways usenet was the original gnutella, or
> would that be napster... well, not really either, but... this seems to be
> a lot of the issue - something that started out as being distributed and
> mirrored on servers throughout the world gets archived at what could be
> considered a single point of failure, and the fun begins.

The fun, hmm.. comparing usenet with napster because of the distributed
structure. Open source, what ? The database structure in itself ? The
single messages, articles ? I remember well somebody claiming his
copyright for good reasons, it was used to sell winmodem, urgghhh...

First of all, napster is, to say it mildly, expropriation of the artists.
It has nothing to do with private copying or fair use and it is dangerous,
if you like private copying, to mix those things.

On the other hand, archiving usenet should be organised by some public
entity. Maybe it is european thinking to think that it shouldnt be
organised this way, but the question of financing such a thing is
something different. Bill Gates could give money to the Smithonean
Institution of something like that. Isnt this a case of applied ethnology?

H.