Bruce Sterling on 28 Feb 2001 19:12:13 -0000

<nettime> Viridian Note 00230: Greening Earth Redux

Key concepts: Greening Earth Society, EPA, Christie Todd
Whitman, bp, black spin, greenwashing

Attention Conservation Notice: It's about evil spin-
doctors, big corporations, and Republican bureaucrats.

Entries in the Reddy Kilowatt Makeover Contest:

http://www.stanford.edu/~amberk/Greeny_Megawatt.html
http://crashvx.freeservers.com/viridian/greeny/
http://www.digitaleverything.com/Reddy.jpg
http://www.carladiana.com/reddi.jpeg

Viridian Contest Archive:
http://www.bomoco.com/Viridian/Greenie/greenie.htm

This contest ends on March 20, 02001

(((Viridian readers often ask me why I seem to be so
kindhearted and indulgent about the "bp" enterprise.
After all, "bp" (formerly British Petroleum) is
unquestionably a huge, multinational, ultra-capitalist,
oil and gas company, so the standard Green response would
be to insist that they pepper-gas us.  Greenpeace in
particular has made a minor career out of harassing bp in
courts and the media, so I often receive plaintive email
from Greenpeace fans, wondering how come I admire that bp
logo so much, and why I haven't cottoned-on that bp is a
greenwashing menace to be culture-jammed at all costs.

(((Here's the story.  Greenpeace is  not where I get my
news about bp.  Nope, not at all.  Being a Viridian, I get
my news from a source we can *trust*:  *Greening Earth
Society*.  That's right: I  always read the rhetoric from
the *other side.*

(((You see, Greenpeace can't be entirely trusted, because
(despite their goofy organizational practices and their
chronic underfunding) they are sometimes accidentally
right about some major issues.  Greening Earth Society, by
stark contrast, is infallibly wrong.  Always.  Faithfully!
When it comes to navigating environmental controversy,
Greening Earth Society is like a compass that always
points south.

(((Not only are they wrong, but they're actively evil.
And most directly to the point, Greening Earth Society
hates and fears bp. Greening Earth Society never even
bothers to notice sweet little Greenpeace.

(((The hard work of Greening Earth is about three things,
(1) rightwing fundraising for coal interests  (2)
logjamming Kyoto and the US Senate, and (3) culture war on
climate science and scientists.  So their enemy is
necessarily bp, because bp are (1) British and sold all
their coal interests; (2) more or less pro-Kyoto and (3)
bp can read a thermometer and is therefore scientifically
literate.   BP used to be on the polluters' side, but bp
have become class traitors. BP has done these clowns more
damage in two years than Greenpeace has done in thirty. BP
has damaged their morale and their fundraising prospects,
and that's damage that Greening Earth takes very
seriously. That's why I take bp seriously, while I am
inclined to let Greenpeace be Greenpeace.

(((If you're a fan of Greening Earth, the latest news is
great.  They are paranoically surrounded by these class
traitors.  New EPA administrator Christie Todd Whitman
recently publicly admitted that global warming exists.
Quelle horreur!   Most Greens presumably think Christie's
kidding, and that this is some diabolical Republican
prologue to arresting Ralph Nader.  But Greening Earth
(quoting their staunch friends and supporters at the
incredibly evil http://www.junkscience.com) think very
much otherwise. Greening Earth's people think they got
stiffed.   They raised and spent all that campaign money
for *this*?)))

Source: Greening Earth Society, Feb 28, 02001

"From: "Chris Paynter" <cpaynter@greeningearthsociety.org>
"Subject: Christine Todd Browner?

"You might want to pull your Kyoto Protocol battle helmets
out of the closet."

"JunkScience.com

"Christine Todd Browner? == Carol M. Browner's reign as
Queen of the EPA was terminated by the election of George
W. Bush. Apparently, though, Browner can now channel
herself through new EPA Queen, Christine Todd Whitman.

decision on the air quality rules that Browner imposed on
us, Whitman called the decision, 'a solid endorsement of
EPA's efforts to protect the health of millions of
Americans from the dangers of air pollution.'

"Adding insult to injury, Whitman commented after an
appearance before a Senate committee, 'There's no question
but that global warming is a real phenomenon, that it is
occurring... And while scientists can't predict where the
droughts will occur, where the flooding will occur
precisely or when, we know those things will occur.'
(((So you might want to strap on your life-vest *as well*
as your Kyoto battle helmet.)))

"Whitman also said the Bush administration is considering
imposing limits on carbon dioxide emissions from the
nation's power plants.

"These pronouncements are amazing considering her lack of
expertise on the environment. (((Those boys at
"junkscience" always amaze really easily.)))  When asked
for her thoughts on global warming several months ago,
Whitman responded,  'Still somewhat uncertain. Clearly
there's a hole in the ozone, that has been identified. But
I saw a study the other day that showed that it was
closing. It's not as clear, the cause and effect, as we
would like it to be.' (...)

"Though it's not too late for Christie to exorcise the
demon spirit of Carol Browner, don't hold your breath.

"Even if Christine Todd Browner nee Whitman knew right
from wrong on the environment, she likely wouldn't have
the political courage to do the right thing.  (((Maybe.
Ask yourself what you would do if you were an ambitious
politician like Christie Todd Whitman, your Cabinet post
at the environment was your only bailiwick in the current
power structure, and your boss was a guy like George W.
Bush.)))

"The environment is a throw-away issue for most
Republicans. They're typically unwilling to spend their
limited political capital to fight eco-political
correctness."  ((("Junkscience" spends a lot of time
chiding the Republican faithful because they can't imagine
that anyone else is reading them.)))

(((And check out these helpful links, courtesy of Greening
Earth!)))

http://www.junkscience.com/

EPA Mulls Limits for Power Plant Emissions
Environmentalists Laud White House Effort on Pollution
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64344-
2001Feb27.html

Global-warming reports put hot issue on front burner for
Bush
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/topstory/833147

Whitman Considers Global Warming
http://www.globalwarm.com/action=display&article=5951375&t
emplate=globalwarm/stories.txt&index=recent
"If this link doesn't work when you click on it, copy and
paste into your browser's address."  (((Thanks for the
surfing tip, Chris!)))

Warnings on global warming
CHANGES: Climate expert tells legislators of the dangers
melting permafrost poses to the pipeline.
http://www.adn.com/metro/story/0,2633,243326,00.html

Global warning on climate (2)
http://www.montrealgazette.com/editorial/pages/010227/5006
933.html

CEI Disappointed in Supreme Court's Clean Air Act Decision
Legal Hurdles to EPA's Rules Removed, But Scientific
Questions Remain
http://www.enn.com/direct/display-release.asp?id=3513

Chris Paynter
Greening Earth Society