brian carroll on 7 Mar 2001 06:36:49 -0000

<nettime> caught some big spooky fish

cast out the hook for Halliburton/Enron in a message to Nettime
sent Wednesday, February 28, 2001 from California, referring to
the glossalalia project URL and sure enough, the big spooky fish
that is Enron took the bait. here is the info from my logfiles,
indicating 3 simultaneous hits to the glossy project URL:

<begin logfile_info>

3/5|12:08 PM|http://www.architexturez.com/glossalalia/|
outbound5.enron.com|192.152.140.9|
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)|

3/5|12:08 PM|http://www.architexturez.com/glossalalia/rbot.htm|
outbound5.enron.com|192.152.140.9|
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)|

3/5|12:08 PM|http://www.architexturez.com/glossalalia/rbot.htm|
outbound5.enron.com|192.152.140.9|
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)|

</end logfile_info>

just for accuracy sake, i entered the IP address 192.152.140.9
into swhois from namespace which returned the following info:

<begin whois_search_info>

Enron Corp, Inc. (NETBLK-EGLI-)
   1400 Smith Street
   Houston, TX 77002
   US

   Netname: EGLI-1
   Netblock: 192.152.140.0 - 192.152.140.255

   Coordinator:
      Lovett, Steven R.  (SRL19-ARIN)  slovett@ENORN.COM
      713-853-1434 (FAX) 713-646-3010

   Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

   ENEFW1.ENRONCORP.COM  192.152.140.1
   ENEFW2.ENRONCORP.COM  192.152.140.2

   Record last updated on 23-Jan-1998.
   Database last updated on 6-Mar-2001 19:02:59 EDT.

http://name.space.xs2.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl

</end whois_search_info>

ANOTHER VERY BIG FISH which has been swimming around my
site for quite a while has been nipr.mil, which yields
the following information from a whois search for the IPs:

(two recent visits (44 hits)

3/4|12:30 AM||bu-wcs2-kelly.nipr.mil|
198.26.123.37|Mozilla/3.01 (compatible;)|

3/5|2:51 PM||bu-wcs2-sand.nipr.mil|
198.26.130.37|Mozilla/3.01 (compatible;)|

DLA Systems Automation Center (NETBLK-DLA-C)
   3990 E. Broad St.
   Columbus, OH 43216
   US

   Netname: NETBLK-DLA-C
   Netblock: 198.25.0.0 - 198.26.255.255
   Maintainer: DNIC

   Coordinator:
      Cassell, James  (JC536-ARIN)  JCASSELL@CRCC.DISA.MIL
      (614) 692-9549 (FAX) (614) 692-9129

   Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

   AAA-KELLY.NIPR.MIL  199.252.162.251
   AAA-VAIHINGEN.NIPR.MIL 199.252.154.251
   AAA-WHEELER.NIPR.MIL  199.252.180.251
   AAA-VIENNA.NIPR.MIL  207.132.116.60

   Record last updated on 13-Jun-1997.
   Database last updated on 6-Mar-2001 19:02:59 EDT.

see for bginfo: http://www.dsdc.dla.mil/geninfo/history.htm

....and from the main logfile IP address for NIPR.MIL:

DOD Network Information Center (NIPR-DOM)
   7990 Science Applications Court
   MS CV-50
   Vienna, VA 22183-7000

   Domain Name: NIPR.MIL
   PLA: [None specified]

   Technical Contact:
      System, Administrator  (AS3)
      (800) 365-3642 (FAX)(703) 676-1749
      ACTION@NIC.MIL
   Administrative Contact:
      DoD, Hostmaster  (HOSTMASTER)
      (800) 365-3642 (FAX)(703) 676-1749
      HOSTMASTER@NIC.MIL

   Record last updated on 14-Feb-2000.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   CON1.NIPR.MIL  199.252.175.234
   EUR1.NIPR.MIL  199.252.154.234
   PAC1.NIPR.MIL  199.252.180.234

 interestingly, i have never had any concern about this, as
 there must be _some_ public oversight of this monitoring,
 yet after visiting one of their hard to find access points
 (at least for me) online at http://cap.nipr.mil/, i read
 info which amounts to 'the use of NIPR.MIL for official government
 business only, when browsing websites'. here's the actual text:

["This is a Department of Defense (DOD) computer system. This computer
system, which includes all related equipment, software, networks, and
network devices, is provided only for official U.S. Government business.
DOD computer systems may be monitored by authorized personnel to ensure that
their use is authorized to manage the system, to facilitate protection
against unauthorized access, and to verify security procedures. During these
activities, information stored on this system may be examined, copied and
used for authorized security purposes, and data or programs may be placed
into this system. Use of this or any other DOD interest computer system
constitutes a consent to monitoring at all times."]

 thus, while it might be a stretch of the imagination for the skeptical
 but silent lurker, it is fair to say that these visits are 'official
 U.S. Government Business by the Department of Defense [DoD].

 these are just little Factoids regarding publishing ideas on Nettime,
 and an indication of who is a part of this 'community', and listening
 in at the sidelines. while public ideas are being presented, it is as
 if something dangerous is being said. being a human being in a private
 citizen's world today must be considered terrorism by those at the top
 of the compost heap. sure enough, no response from Halliburton or Enron,
 but it may be a good idea for people to start recording their logs when
 writing anything challenging, not extending, status quo interpretations
 that support despotic abuses of public power by those privately in power.

 a wish for transparency, freedom, and public accountability in democracy.

 -human being

 <begin commentary>

 the following was sent to me in regards to my last post on this subject.
 i would like to state that i am not anti-corporate, as i do not believe
 things are that simple. i am for corporate responsibility and for public
 accountability and regulation of private business, so that both large
 and small scale business benefits the local/global community as a whole.
 it need not be stated how far this currently is from being the case-
 the denial of any public accountability for 'corporate-driven public
 policy' helps no one. especially when the spooks at the DoD and the
 CEOs of energy companies like Halliburton and Enron are the same people
 in the top administration of the United States Government. checks and
 balances will not happen in government, but in forums where this marriage
 of public & private interests can be dissected and analyzed. yet there
 is currently no differentiation, in discourse (be it practical and-or
 theoretical) that there is even a difference between what is public
 and what is private. being human is just another private phantasy,
 or so it seems to the status quo private citizenry. until we find a
 commonality, all the big issues will be fragmented and the destruction
 of a public society will continue to erode until there is total war--
 and then what?  what will happen on nettime when our respective
 countries start to re-organize their geopolitical relations and,
 most likely, end their alliances and form new ones, in opposition?
 what if, for example, France and Germany were to side with Russia
 on a strategic issue, and all hell broke lose in a nuclear exchange
 and these countries, and peoples, went to war against one-another
 in the age of the internetwork. what would happen with nettimers?
 dissent? against ourselves? organizing? for what? protest? against
 who, the military? what about the reality of the offline world and
 how it is impacting online space? or is nettime's nova in net.art
 alone and its dying star system? just another private opinion, as
 some would like to believe.

</end commentary>