Jonathan Prince on 17 Mar 2001 16:19:29 -0000

Re: <nettime> Armor, Amour

At 7:28 PM -0500 3/16/01, Jordan Crandall wrote:

>Ted:
>Of course I know the idea of a missile shield is decades old.  I think
>the Bush-Cheney-Rumsfield version is something different.

Yeah there is something different this time.

The proponent of Star Wars 3.0 is a rather impressionable moron surrounded
by people who used to work for his daddy, then worked for the corporations
that lobbied hard to continue Star Wars (with only a relatively small
result), then (after a successful coup) returned to power to send the tax
dollars back to the corporations they once worked for.

Only problem is that there are no enemies to be shielded from.

Don't worry - they'll invent one.

'When I was coming up, it was a dangerous world, and you knew exactly who
they were. It was us versus them, and it was clear who them was. Today, we
are not so sure who the they are, but we know they're there.'

  - George W Bush
--

..
Jonathan Prince