ricardo dominguez on Wed, 9 May 2001 13:52:14 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Living wage@harvard - sitin ends - Harvard Administration agreed to gains for workers plus

Hi EDT;

 At 3pm today students are scheduled to leave the administrative building
after the Harvard Administration agreed to gains for workers plus
reopening a more comprehensive negotiation - they are willing to sit down
at the table with a committee including workers, faculty, students, and
administrators!

Just a few days ago the adminstration was still refusing to
negotiate; president Rudenstine said 'I will resign before I will
negotiate' for a Living Wage.

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~pslm/livingwage/portal.html

Students from inside reported that news of the Virtual sit-in, which
had 1,311 people participate, including many Communications Workers of
America  members and students from all over the world, helped bolster
their courage and gave them an added small push of moral support to
continue the action till adminstrators caved in.

The Virtual Sit-In also drew some media attention, with independent
coverage appearing in several places online and in print media.

Most important I think was the CWA participation; they were very into it
and had their whole Washington DC office on the site, a link from their
home page, and sent out a message to an 'electronic activist' email list
they maintain.  Seems to me that working with the CWA is a prime way to
spread the hacktivism meme and praxis.

Thanks for all your support, both of you.  I'm sure we'll be in touch.

take care,
sasha

http://209.192.192.125/action/virtual_sit_in_info.html