nettime's_flametrader on Tue, 22 May 2001 00:16:24 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> no people - Public Offering dig [graham, brozefsky]

   Re: <nettime> Public Offering digest [dery, sondheim]
     Phil Graham <phil.graham@mailbox.uq.edu.au>

   Re: <nettime> no people.
     Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:29:33 +1000
From: Phil Graham <phil.graham@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Public Offering digest [dery, sondheim]

At 01:38 PM 5/21/01 -0400, Mark wrote:
>a multitude of intellectual sins ... can usually be replaced by clearer
>words that cost less ("textual
>practice" = *writing*). More often than not, they amount to intellectual
>handwaving.

This reminds me of the Newspeak enthusiast --- "we're getting rid of
*thousands* of useless words" --- since when has "textual practice" meant
"writing"?

>In any event, if you're arguing for a Nettime that makes room for a vibrant
>profusion of ideas and opinions, then we're in complete agreement. If, on
>the other hand, you're defending your---and my---right to be willfully
>obscure, I'm afraid I can't agree.

I found nothing obscure in the post. I enjoyed it and it rsonated with me.

>Is there room, here, for "many modes of
>thinking, working through ideas"? No question. Nonetheless, I refuse to
>unplug my critical faculties in the name of a faux populism that throws wide
>the floodgates to any and every post.

Are you going to appoint yourself censor, then? Pass judgement on the
appropriately economic use of terminologies that don't confuse you?

>Let a billion flowers bloom, and you
>have intellectual kudzu. We live in an attention economy. Time-starved and
>data-glutted, most of us appreciate posts that don't have to be read with a
>weed-whacker in one hand.

If your attention is overtaxed, there's always the delete button. Be as
juducious as you like.

>Nettime, as its .sig file suggests, is "a
>moderated mailing list for net criticism, collaborative text filtering and
>cultural politics of the nets."

By that measure, I can't think of anything more appropriate than the "no
people" post, since the technology is anthropomorphised ad absurdum.

>There's no mention of ePoetry or ASCII art or my own private turbo-blog,
>much as
>that pains me. Whatever else it is, Nettime is a forum for public discourse.
>*Public*, not private.

It *was* public. It *is* public. It *is* discourse.

>But if you believe your thoughts matter, don't cloak them in the
>intellectual equivalent of a cloud
>of squid ink; make them transparent to me.

Why *you*? Why not *me*?

I don't understand *you* or what you are saying.

>A parting thought: If you "feel, like many others, outside of the nettime
>mainstream," you may want to consider the possibility that Nettime *has* no
>mainstream. We're *all* on the outside, Alan. Which is Nettime's greatest
>strength---or one of them.

Yup, that's a strength. But are we ALL on the outside? If so, what are we
on the outside of? Who are the insiders in this public discourse?

regards,
Phil