aharon on Mon, 25 Jun 2001 07:08:04 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Auntie Kate

Imagine the following scene:

You are alone in your home listening to your favourite music. Suddenly the
door bell rings. You open to the door and see a person you've never seen
before. She push the door open and let herself in.

"What are you doing?" You ask.

"I'm your aunt Kate. Don't you remember? I sent you a letter saying I'll
come for a few days."

"But this is really inconvenient." You attempt to be polite while
remembering jotting a quick letter to your forgotten relative, saying
you've been offended by her manners.

"What do you mean?! I did inform you." She says looking surprised.

"I am sorry, but you can not simply announce that you come. I did write to
you about it..."

"Oh yes... I appreciate you feel a bit upset. I promise, it'll be OK.
You'll see."

" You can not decide to come all by yourself..." You try to protest.

"By myself?! I did write to you, I am discussing it now with you. This is
not by myself, this is with you... What more do you want?" She smiles
looking rather innocent.

This is an illustration of the new definition of multilateralism, imposed
by the great thinker, G. W. Bush. The interesting thing is, that his wisdom
is so deep and surprisingly enlightening, that no-one could even question
him. As he was standing in a press conference, rebuffing claims of
unilateralism in regards to Kyoto agreement, claiming his very trip to
Europe proves his inclusive approach...

The US can be seen to simply get away with things, because people in
"power" positions, are afraid.

However, the US is vulnerable in one of it's biggest export, commercial
media.

Since the US is ready to rebuff everybody else, and continue polluting the
environment, why not express your disgust by boycotting US films, TV etc...
The idea being, if one wants to destroy our planet, we might as well try
not to pay for it...

Personally, I thought it could be interesting to start things moving by
selecting a memorable date (e.g. Fri 02.02.02) and declaring it a a US
media free day. However, this is a personal idea which clearly needs to be
elaborated upon with other people... If you feel that you'd like to
contribute in thought, ideas, planning, action or any other means, please
contact me on aharon@artileri.net, or come to chat at #US_med_free on
AfterNet IRC, (irc.afternet.org; 6667) daily between 7-8pm  (GMT +1hr).